Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Medicaletter From Ssa

Rate this question

gunnyusmc

Question

I was recently awarded SSDI for an anxiety disorder (PTSD) but all my award letter stated was my disability date and my monthly award. I am currently rated 80% SC for 10% tinnitis, 10%HBP and 10% PTSD. I recently filed for an increase on the PTSD because life's been rough lately and was told (or maybe read) that I could get a letter from SSA stating exactly WHY I got SSDI in the first place (in my case PTSD). I spent 3 1/2 hours waiting at the lcal SSA just for them to look at me like I was from another planet when I asked about it and then they gaffed me off and said it was'nt possible. She supposedly checked with the supervisor. I really wanted that letter to send in as additional evidence on my PTSD claim as I would think it would be looked at favorably. Can anyone give me some of their personal experience regaratter.....it was be deeply appreciated.......thanks!! gunny.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

When my husband was awarded by SSA solely for PTSD (based on his VA records)he was sent an authorization form by the VA in order for them to obtain the entire SSA record and medical determination.

Long story - I had to call the SSA main office in Baltimore because the VA ,when we found out they had not obtained these critical records)told our 2 Senators and our COngressman that the SSA "had refused" to release his records to the VA and this was a lie.

Longer story- my husband died and I re opened his PTSD claim. Three yeara after his death they granted 100% P & T for PTSD but never mentioned his SSA records at all. They did mention a letter from his shrink. I asked this doctor to write it because they were also refusing to consider his extensive psychiatric records at VA ( which prompted the SSA award)and the doctor (one of the best PTSD psychiatrists in the VA system in my opinion) not only mentioned his extensive records but also said that,per the spouse, he was also awarded SSA solely for PTSD.

I believe the authorization form you need is at the VA web site and it is (at least it used to be) the same authorization form for private medical records.

If you receive SSA solely for PTSD and have a verifiable stressor or combat awards of PH, CIB, or CAR on your DD 214, then the VA should award you TDIU or 100% for PTSD (Washington V Derwinski)

if they get the SSA records that will confirm the SSA award as to the PTSD.

You filed for an increase but did you formally file for TDIU? (the 21-8940 form)

Are you still in the appellate period for the most recent VA award?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Of course they already verified your stressor- sorry I mentioned that-

It seems that SSA wants a request from the VA with a signed authorization (or Consent ) form from the veteran as they seem unwilling to ever give any SSA recipient a copy of their actual Disability Determination.(which would help speed up this types of claim)

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.