Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adaptive Housing Grant...

Rate this question

maine1963

Question

I am 100% Perm. and total. With loss of use of my right foot. I need housing that offers first floor living. I have a BASIC understanding of the Adaptive Housing Grant. But have questions....

• What is the max amount of the grant?
  • Can I use this for a Down Payment on an existing house that has first floor living and access?
  • Am I better off building a new house?
  • Am I facing a long period for approval?

Thanks and any additional information would be welcomed!

Greg in Maine

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• Founder

I think this may assist and I know that others will chime in.

American Veterans Survival Guide provided as free download from NVLSP.org http://tinyurl.com/23j3883 the part about SAH starts on page 266 I believe.

I am 100% Perm. and total. With loss of use of my right foot. I need housing that offers first floor living. I have a BASIC understanding of the Adaptive Housing Grant. But have questions....

• What is the max amount of the grant?
  • Can I use this for a Down Payment on an existing house that has first floor living and access?
  • Am I better off building a new house?
  • Am I facing a long period for approval?

Thanks and any additional information would be welcomed!

Greg in Maine

I received the adaptive housing grant last year and the max was$ 60,000 and yes you can use as down payment if the existing house you want to buy meets the criteria of adaptive housing.It took between 6 mos and a year to get it autherized.It is a slow process but once it is approved you will find the SAH people very friendly and willing to work with you on every detail.Just make sure you get everything you need for the future.Good luck

The first thing you need to do is request the adaptive housing grant throught the regional office... It is very likely you will require a C/P exam because a lose of use of one foot alone does not qualify for a grant. The current Grant is almost $64,000

The Specially Adapted Housing Grant is available to veterans or servicemembers who are entitled to compensation for permanent and total service-connected disability due to:

a. The loss, or loss of use, of both lower extremities such as to preclude locomotion

without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.

b. Blindness in both eyes having only light perception, plus loss or loss of use of one

lower extremity.

c. The loss, or loss of use, of one lower extremity together with

(1) residuals of organic disease or injury, or

(2) the loss or loss of use of one upper extremity.

Item (1) and Item (2) above must so affect the functions of balance or propulsion as

to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.

d. The loss, or loss of use, of both upper extremities, so as to preclude use of the

arms at or above the elbows.

e. The permanent and total disability is due to a severe burn injury

Teac is correct. It will be very unlikely that you will qualify with only the loss of use of one extremity. Normally if you qualify they will include your general qualification in the rating letter you receive granting the 100 percent rating and the loss of use.