Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help With Letter Of Disagreement

Rate this question

skc8738

Question

Hi, My name is Kevin. I was in the Army active duty till last year when I got out on an OTH discharge which in some ways I deserved for my actions. But at the same time I feel that the things that happened could have been avoided if I had had proper help dealing with the things that were going on after being back from Iraq. I have injuries that I sustained while being in a infantry unit in Iraq along with several other problems. I went to Iraq fresh from AIT and as soon as we returned It seemed as though everyone I fought with went elsewhere. And none of the PA's seemed to help with me my injuries other than ibuprofen and "i am not sure shrugs." I got pretty depressed and made some very bad decisions with no one who cared enough around to guide me in the right direction. To be honest I was completely terrified of being in the field or returning to Iraq. Now I have several problems, the most of which my right hand is pretty messed up especially the pinky. And cant afford reconstructive surgery. I tried to file my compensation packet. and now they have sent me a letter saying that my service is not honorable for VA purposes, and that if I disagree with this I need to write them a "letter of Disagreement" That is where I am at a loss of what this letter needs to include and etc. Any help at all is more than I have now. Thank you so much for you time and answers. K. Caywood

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi, My name is Kevin. I was in the Army active duty till last year when I got out on an OTH discharge which in some ways I deserved for my actions. But at the same time I feel that the things that happened could have been avoided if I had had proper help dealing with the things that were going on after being back from Iraq. I have injuries that I sustained while being in a infantry unit in Iraq along with several other problems. I went to Iraq fresh from AIT and as soon as we returned It seemed as though everyone I fought with went elsewhere. And none of the PA's seemed to help with me my injuries other than ibuprofen and "i am not sure shrugs." I got pretty depressed and made some very bad decisions with no one who cared enough around to guide me in the right direction. To be honest I was completely terrified of being in the field or returning to Iraq. Now I have several problems, the most of which my right hand is pretty messed up especially the pinky. And cant afford reconstructive surgery. I tried to file my compensation packet. and now they have sent me a letter saying that my service is not honorable for VA purposes, and that if I disagree with this I need to write them a "letter of Disagreement" That is where I am at a loss of what this letter needs to include and etc. Any help at all is more than I have now. Thank you so much for you time and answers. K. Caywood

x

x

x

You have ONE YEAR to Appeal the VA Decision by submitting your Notice of Disagreement! Be sure to get it done!

You may write or type on a plain piece of paper. Be sure to properly identify yourself and your VA Claim with name, address, date and social security number.

You need to explain (as you did with us), the circumstances surrounding your discharge, and tell them WHY you believe your discharge was improper (the military did not follow their own rules) and/or inequitable (other soldier's were treted more favorably or had better outcomes).

Wherever possible, you should provide concrete evidence to support your arguments.

Begin with your own personal testimony --and then consider other credible sources of testimony. Ask family, friend's, clergy, military members, etc. to write sworn statements on your behalf.

Your service record, and military medical record, may provide evidence of supporting documents. Request a copy of all your service records from ST Louis NPRC. ASAP.

Your post-discharge medical records may provide evidence to support your arguments.

Get some help from the Vet Center nearest you. Get a good service officer if you can find one: keep looking until you find one.

You have the Right to request a Personal Hearing with the VARO.

Apply to and obtain an upgrade in discharge status from BCMR. Equity and Propriety are the guiding principles. The Facts and the Law.