Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Story & Questions

Rate this question

harleyvet

Question

Like many of you, I am still patiently waiting for the VA's decision on my case. I went on terminal leave from the Army in FEB 10, and medically retired APR 10. Before I left Ft Campbell, the VFW rep talked me into getting my VA file started early so that it would be processed faster. In FEB I signed the VFW as my POA and headed home to CO. My C&P exam was completed at the Denver VAMC and forwarded to Winston-Salem. W-S received my case in July and it has been in the decision phase since AUG 6. My list of complaints are as follows:

• anxiety condition
  • depression
  • insomnia
  • lumbar spine condition (Due to two surgeries in 2008/2009)
  • irritable bowel syndrome
  • tinnitus
  • shoulder condition
  • right
  • knee condition
  • right
  • hypertension
  • premature ventricular contractions
  • erectile dysfunction
  • varicose veins
  • GERD
  • knee condition
  • left

I understand the backlog that the VA is experiencing, and that they give 16-28 days average for each decision. Mine has been in the decision phase for twice longer than average, and my patience is wearing thin. I am financially under with no outlook of getting better, waiting for the claim (Not a good idea, hindsight and all). I had a job, but was fired due to an outburst that the VA psychiatrist says is directly related to PTSD (This was part of and added to my C&P). I have been unemployed since June of this year, trying to raise my family of 5 on my wife's part time job and my 70% retirement. Should I be writing a letter to W-S asking for hardship? At this point would it even matter? Is there anyone with roughly the same timeframe as myself that could give a good heads up as to their status? My guesstimate for percentage is 80, anyone want to add their 2 cents?

I appreciate any and all comments, insights, encouraging words. I know that many of you have been there and done that, that's why I am here....

Thank You for letting me vent....

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"I had a job, but was fired due to an outburst that the VA psychiatrist says is directly related to PTSD (This was part of and added to my C&P)."

Although you claimed anxiety hopefully the VA will recognize the PTSD diagnosis.

They will pay comp for only one mental health disability-the one that affects you the most.

The new PTSD regulations are in the PTSD forum here.

As long as these conditions have a documented service nexus and are in your SMRs, they will rate them if they are at a ratable level.

The Schedule of ratings is here at hadit and that could provide some idea as to the ratings they will give. Not enough info here for us to take a guess.

"my 70% retirement." Are you potential eligible for CRSC or CRDP?

Was this a medical discharge and the mil granted the 70%?

Welcome aboard and I apologize because I am not sure at all what you mean here by the 70%.

Although you claimed anxiety hopefully the VA will recognize the PTSD diagnosis.

"my 70% retirement." Are you potential eligible for CRSC or CRDP?

Was this a medical discharge and the mil granted the 70%?

I hope they are considering it as PTSD as well, at least that's what I thought they were doing. I have a diagnosis from 3 different psychiatrists, two Army and one VA, stating that I have PTSD. Yes, my medical discharge from the Army is for PTSD and lumbar fusion at L-4, L-5. I was infantry so it is combat related, I am looking to file for CRSC as soon as I get a rating from the VA. My retirement from the Army is only temporary until they feel that my symptoms have leveled out and are not going to change. I have my first Army medical review coming within the next month or so. If the rating from the Army falls below 30% ( I think ) then I will get "Honorable" discharge and severance. Anything above that and I will stay on retirement.

I would like to add that with all the issues you have claimed it is going to take a bit longer for the VA to award.

Get a hold of your VFW vso if you can and tell him your financial situation and he may have some advise and help for you. Also check with them to make sure you are being considered under the wounded veteran program if you qualify.

If your mortgage is a problem pickup the phone and call your bank. No one should have to lose anything while waiting for the VA to act!

Good luck on your claim and welcome to Hadit. By the way also check with a vet center if it is close by and see what they can do.

I would like to add that with all the issues you have claimed it is going to take a bit longer for the VA to award.

Get a hold of your VFW vso if you can and tell him your financial situation and he may have some advise and help for you. Also check with them to make sure you are being considered under the wounded veteran program if you qualify.

If your mortgage is a problem pickup the phone and call your bank. No one should have to lose anything while waiting for the VA to act!

Good luck on your claim and welcome to Hadit. By the way also check with a vet center if it is close by and see what they can do.

Could you tell me more or point me in the direction for the wounded veteran program you are talking about? I am not familiar with it. I have called the VFW and all they will tell me is to keep waiting and there is nothing they can do. I am not worried about a mortgage, we rent, but I have a truck, a Jeep, and a motorcycle that are going unpaid at the moment. The truck hasn't been paid in two months (because it is mine and not the family vehicle) my wifes Jeep Cherokee is the family vehicle, and the motorcycle is to save gas. My experience with these credit companies is that they don't care.

If you are a veteran of the Iraq or Afghanistan wars the VA should be handling your claims at the front of the lines.

Again check with the Vet center nearest you or call and they will have everything you need including all the wounded warrior info.