VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Former Employers Are Not Reachable

Rate this question

ferris7060

Question

I applied for TDIU in August. My DAV added a statement to my file that out of my last 3 employers, only one was available to speak with. I worked for 3 small businesses (last employment was 2007). Each only lasted at most 3 months. One was sold after my employment and the new owner would not even know who I am, another closed entirely, and the 3rd is able to fill out the forms although I was employed there in 2006 and owner admits to not keeping any formal record of my employment with him. He does not remember employment dates or exact wages. AFTER the VA got my statement I get a letter stating that they have sent a request for employment info. to all of these employers, but I should check up to make sure they fill these forms out. This isn't possible. What should I do? Is this going to hold everything up? What happens when only one employer responds? I do have an SSDI decision solely granted for SC disabilities and I have already seen a copy of my C & P exams done on Oct. 25th, which has the words, at least as likely as not for my DDD and says due to migrains caused by DDD I could not do any kind of work. Is this going to be a big problem?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Inform the VARO using the info you provided and request that they go ahead and rate your claim with the info that they already have.

• HadIt.com Elder

The fact that SSA made a determination of total disability due to "SC disabilities" is a major factor in your favor. I assume that you are/were paid SSDI benefits, at least until you reach full retirement age, when the SSDI payment changes to SSA retirement.

Your SSA records (Obtain a copy, if at all possible) should show what they had concerning employment. As should W-2 records, etc The VA and other bureaucratic entities have rules and procedures that do not automatically allow for real world conditions.

In your case, I'd suggest that you should write a reply stating in part that the SSA has the employment information that was available, and as a result you were awarded SSDI. (enclose copy of SSDI award, if possible.)

Remember that the VA often is looking for any information that would allow them to reduce or eliminate the award & compensation for a service connected/connectible disability.

I went through the same thing, and yes, it will slow things down. (The VA uses every possible excuse to delay your claim, because it is money in their pocket)

That being said, the failure of a past employer to send in your paperwork should not be a deal breaker. What they did is put the "returned" letter in my file..it should not count against you in the end.

It is one of those things that the VA does which is unnecessary. The Social Security has records of the money you make and they can check with them to see if you are working.

It does lay a trap for Vets, because your old employer can sabatoge things for you. Its one more hurdle to get past.

You can try downloading the form, going to your old employer, getting them to sign it, make a copy, and then send it to the VA. That is "hand carry" your paperwork.