Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Claim

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

I have submitted a claim for sleep apnea this month. I am claiming that my sleep apnea is secondary to the weight gain from my meds; mainly abilify. I just received a letter from the VA stating that I have to prove that the sleep apnea goes back to when I was in service. It wasn't and that is not what I'm claiming. I have evidence that the meds caused my weight gain and I did not have sleep apnea until I had gained 70 pounds. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts? thanks

/doc

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I have submitted a claim for sleep apnea this month. I am claiming that my sleep apnea is secondary to the weight gain from my meds; mainly abilify. I just received a letter from the VA stating that I have to prove that the sleep apnea goes back to when I was in service. It wasn't and that is not what I'm claiming. I have evidence that the meds caused my weight gain and I did not have sleep apnea until I had gained 70 pounds. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts? thanks

/doc

Doc,

If the abilify is for a SC'd psych disorder you may be better off claiming it secondary to the psych condition. For me Imy PTSD causes me to isolate and that is the cause of my weight gain. I haven't filed yet but this is the approach I will take on this matter.

JMO,

Bergie

As a combat veteran, or any veteran for that matter!!!

If you thought the fighting was over when you came home, got out, or when the politicians said it was over.

Welcome to the real fight, welcome to VA claims!!!

"Just sayin"

Thanks for your reply Bergie. The abilify was for a service connected issue; depression. I am not taking it now, but thats what I thought I was doing claiming it secondary to side effects of meds i. e. weight gain. Is that not how you see it please clarify. Thanks again.

/doc

Doc,

Do not believe that Sleep Apnea is caused strictly by weight gain. It is a big factor, but not the only one. I have many friends that are not over weight, and they have sleep apnea. Have you ever been tested by a VA physco for PTSD or any other men tal issue? I know that my weight gain is from my PTSD. I've even had the Lap Band and it did not stop me from eating. I believe that like many Vets from the Vietnam era had Sleep Apnea, but it was not a common disease until around 1985, I believe. I actually told an AF doctor that I had trouble slee;ping, tired during the day, and snored like a freight train, etc. Response was sleep on your side:( My wife (girl friend at the time) wrote a letter to go with my C&P general medical exam. It may nogt do any good, but like I told the C&P doctor no one knew about sleep apnea back ib the late 60s and early 70s. Do you have copies of your military medical records? Look over them completely, and never gkive up.

Papa

Papa, I am currently 70% SC'D for depression. No I have never been tested for PTSD, I'm sure my depression as well as my high blood pressure which is curretly under appeal for service connection have something to do with it too, in addition to my weight gain. I know if I give my blood pressure as a contributing factor now the VA will just deny based on my BP not being service connected. I wish I could get an IMO, but I just can't afford one right now.

I wish I could get an IMO, but I just can't afford one right now.

navydoc,

Your profile shows SC at 100 %.

The best investment you can make with some of that is to

squeeze some cash out of it for an IMO - if you feel it will help

increase your comp amount each month - like provide for some SMC dollars.

We all say we can't afford to go get an IMO -

but in most cases, it's really the other way around -

we can't afford NOT to get an IMO.

If it won't increase your monthly comp then no need to do it.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

I may be able to do it after the new year, but with Christmas coming and young kids; that is just not possible right now. The sleep apnea SC will put me at 100% plus 60% and in the statutory SMC "S" rating hopefully.