Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student Loan Discharge Question

Rate this question

gavinol

Question

Hii everyone..i am confues please help me..I have been discharged from the student loan. And I found out that I am marked at my credit report for having a debt unsecured with the government. What or must I do to remove it from my credit report? Please only helpful answers ! Thanks .

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hey there. I just had the very same problem. I just got my loans discharged December of 2009. I noticed that the lender and the U.S. Department of Education were still reporting me on all three credit bureaus. I called them last Thursday. You have to speak to the Lender or Loan Discharge Department. They will send you forms in the mail to send to the bureau's to remove the negative items. Make sure you send the forms to all three reporting bureaus: TRW, Equifax and Experian. I am still waiting for the forms to come in the mail. Check in with me the next few days to see what the forms explain or details. I will be glad to help. Right now my FICO is average about 600 with 40K of bad loans/debt weighing down my credit report. I just remarried and we cannot rent or even get a house at the moment. You would think the Government/Lender would remove these items themselves, since they were the ones who reported it negatively. Just like everything, the proof of burden is always put on the Veteran.

Good Luck..I hope this helps! Happy Holidays

Hii everyone..i am confues please help me..I have been discharged from the student loan. And I found out that I am marked at my credit report for having a debt unsecured with the government. What or must I do to remove it from my credit report? Please only helpful answers ! Thanks .

hi,

i hope this is where to ask these questions:

i am P&T, TDIU. that tells you i am compensated at 100%, right? i hope so. :-)

live in florida.

6 years before (back date) i was at a Florida university. both federal gov and FL state gov dept. of edu gave me loans.

Florida is trying to collect via collection agents.

i guess you can guess my next question! can Florida get at my VA disability check for FL Dept. of Education loans?

also, should i send them copy of letter saying i am P&T? i have Florida DV license on my car and on my DL.

HELP?! thank you.

• HadIt.com Elder

hi,

live in florida.

6 years before (back date) i was at a Florida university. both federal gov and FL state gov dept. of edu gave me loans.

i guess you can guess my next question! can Florida get at my VA disability check for FL Dept. of Education loans?

also, should i send them copy of letter saying i am P&T? i have Florida DV license on my car and on my DL.

HELP?! thank you.

If your disability was awarded "after" your student loans you should apply for a waiver. If not, you borrowed the money, why not pay it back? jmo

pr

" Publication Date: May 15, 2009 DCL ID: GEN-09-07

FP-09-05

CB-09-04

Subject: Procedures for discharging Title IV loans based on a determination by the Department of Veterans Affairs that a veteran is unemployable due to a service-connected condition or disability

Summary: This letter explains the change made to §437(a) of the Higher Education Act by the Higher Education Opportunity Act that establishes a separate standard for determining whether certain veterans are totally and permanently disabled for Title IV loan discharge purposes. This letter provides implementation guidance to FFEL lenders, guaranty agencies, and Perkins school lenders on the procedures for processing total and permanent disability discharge requests for borrowers who are covered by the new statutory provisions."

More info - link:

http://ifap.ed.gov/d...rs/GEN0907.html

ALSO -

"Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge

You may be eligible for a TPD Discharge on your federal student loans if you are unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment that
  • can be expected to result in death,
  • has lasted for a continuous period of not less than 60 months,
  • can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 60 months; or
  • has been determined by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to make you unemployable due to a service-connected disability.

To apply for this discharge, you must have a physician certify the discharge application. For more information, go to
Total and Permanent Disability Discharge
."

More info link:

If your disability was awarded "after" your student loans you should apply for a waiver. If not, you borrowed the money, why not pay it back? jmo

pr

thanks both if you for the replies.

i was awarded last year, the back was 2006 but is under appeal, the itself and both back dates would all be after the loans, although the sought (currently in appeal) back date would run to just after last loan. so, yes i think all dayes would be after loans.

also, in my award letter the VA wrote, "No future examinations will be scheduled." is that important? what does that mean in VA terms?

OH, almost forgot! it is state of Florida that concerns me, are these replies referring to Florida?

thanks again.

Edited by tedro

hi,

live in florida.

HELP?! thank you.

Hi,

I wish to ask again: can Florida or the Federal gov garnish or take my check for student loans?

Thanks.

Edited by tedro