VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vietnam Artillery Ptsd

Rate this question

emandg

Question

I was an artilleryman in Vietnam from '69 to '70. Besides the usual incoming and sapper probes, I was in an attack on an LZ that was hit by a regiment of NVA. In the end we had about 25 firendly KIA"s and buried over 100 of the NVA in a mass grave (after burning them with diesel of course). Thre seems to be a running thing that 11b's are the only ones that saw comabat in the 'nam. Hats off to them, I respect them no end. We artillerymen were in the fight also and did not get any recognition unless we were lucky enough to be liked by the NCO's and got a ARCOM or Bronze Star...or unlucky enough to be hit. I guess that's why people looked at me and said B.S. when I got back and told them about that night and others. I kept it stuffed for 40 years and am now seeking help for it.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"I remember that in Dong Ha after a rocket hit in the perimeter a siren would be sounded"

GEEEEZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, ya know me too, I was a 0812, 1967 to 1970 serving mostly on hill 65. Oh yea we got shot at, attacked, mortared and took rockets on hill 55. I have 4 campaign stars on my ribbons, watched fine young Marines get their head half blown off and had the pleasure get into one hell of a fire fight at Thong Duc. No CAR for me because some Gung HO SOB of a general didn't think we contributed enough. Ya know the grunts loved us and we had and have the deepest respect for them , and I know we saved a lot of fine young Marines. NUF SAID.

J W FRAME

I was an artilleryman in Vietnam from '69 to '70. Besides the usual incoming and sapper probes, I was in an attack on an LZ that was hit by a regiment of NVA. In the end we had about 25 firendly KIA"s and buried over 100 of the NVA in a mass grave (after burning them with diesel of course). Thre seems to be a running thing that 11b's are the only ones that saw comabat in the 'nam. Hats off to them, I respect them no end. We artillerymen were in the fight also and did not get any recognition unless we were lucky enough to be liked by the NCO's and got a ARCOM or Bronze Star...or unlucky enough to be hit. I guess that's why people looked at me and said B.S. when I got back and told them about that night and others. I kept it stuffed for 40 years and am now seeking help for it.

Well help is available for you from many many resources. Have you started getting counselling from the VA?

jframe-

it might not be the SOB's fault regarding the CAR.

SMC didnt start to even award CARs until 1969. If you file a DD 149 they might put one on a DD 215 for you. Here is the criteria:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-506.html

Here is the DD 149:

you could cross out the injustice part and just state you feel your Military records warrant receipt of the CAR.

I ave been meaning to apply fopr this posthumous CAR for my husband but hesitate to do that until my claims are resolved in case they need his whole Mil file.

He was USMC Vietnam 65-66,prior to CAR Ribbons were awarded. (Ist AMphibious Tracter Battalion Danang)

ooops forgot:

dd0149.pdf