Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

In Appeal/doctor Is Wanting An Emg

Rate this question

Ryguy

Question

I'm in the middle of an appeal and my Veteran Service Officer is telling me that my docket number is coming up really soon. The DRO has my file and could look at it with the evidence any day now. I recently went to a follow up doctors appointment and I have lower back service connection, I keep having numbness in my right leg, also my appeal is for upper back and cervical issues as well which started from an accident. My doctor is saying that he thinks its best that we address the numbness of the leg and cervical issues by having an EMG Nerve Study test done. Could this hurt me or help me is my question? Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

The EMG results are pretty strong evidence the VA uses to verify the extent of numbness-tingling-burning of the lower and/or upper extremity's. The EMG did take almost two hours (they examine muscles and nerves) and was uncomfortable/some minor needle stick pain invloved. I had the lower extremity done recently and went from 10 to 40%----Because of left leg radiculopathy. The lower extremity EMG I had recently was done by the VA C& P. I am soon due to have a private hospital EMG of the upper extremity at civilian hospital.**I woould recommend the EMG especially if you are already service connected for the lower back. Good luck.!!

I'm in the middle of an appeal and my Veteran Service Officer is telling me that my docket number is coming up really soon. The DRO has my file and could look at it with the evidence any day now. I recently went to a follow up doctors appointment and I have lower back service connection, I keep having numbness in my right leg, also my appeal is for upper back and cervical issues as well which started from an accident. My doctor is saying that he thinks its best that we address the numbness of the leg and cervical issues by having an EMG Nerve Study test done. Could this hurt me or help me is my question? Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Personally, I'd love to have an EMG done, to see what is happening! I've not researched it in respect to MS, but I'd like to "see" what I've been feeling (does that make sense?) In that respect, I am a very visual person.... I had a special vision test done years ago, when I kept complaining that I had "gray" areas... it was so cool to actually see the dots where my vision was "grayed"! There it was, right on paper!!! I'm not happy that I have those gray areas, but to have a machine show them so others could see, was friggin awesome!

Ryguy, you have to make the decision, do some research, find out all you can about EMGs, then you can make a well informed decision.

It could help and or hurt your claim depending on the results. I have had both upper and lower EMG and have been found to have PN in both. These test on me have been done by outside doc's and by a QTC C&P while not comfortable they will sway your decision!

good luck with your claim!