Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Claim Developmental Phase

Rate this question

CShock

Question

Hello,

I’m new to Hadit and this is my first post. I was feeling pretty good about getting what I felt was a jump start on my C&P claiming by visiting a VSO 6 months prior to my effective retirement date of 28 Feb 11, meeting all my appts, providing info and completing my exam the first week on Nov. However after reading several post about the length of time to receive an award, I must say the wind has been taken out of my proverbial sail. I thought by filling under quick start/BBD that I could expect the process to run smoothly and “as advertised” I’m sure that elicits a chuckle from all who will read this.

So now for my question/concern, on 1 Mar I logged on to the ebenefits website and noticed that my claim was still in the development phase with a date of 1 Mar 11. This is quite discouraging since I visited the VSO office on 13 Oct and completed my exam the first week of Nov. Should I be concerned about the 1 March date or is this typical since I my last day of active duty was 28 Feb?

Additionally before ending my time active duty, I completed a sleep study and was diagnosed with sleep apnea and recommended for CPAP. I think I will wait until my initial results and then submit my paperwork for the sleep apnea. Thoughts?

Lastly my contentions are the following, which I don’t feel are a lot but possibly this is also a reason why I haven’t heard anything yet.

- hypertension (on meds)

- chronic bilateral knee pain (, osteoarthritis right knee, and 5 hyalgan injections. Left knee history of buckling with documented falls)

- s/p right surgery (rt knee ACL, PCL meniscus replacement and screws)

- scars and physical therapy (from rt. knee surgery 12 inches and eczema)

- chronic right wrist pain (frac)tured in 2010, some loss of motion

- right shin splints

- history of right leg cellulitis (hospitalized 4 days)

- chronic neck pain (degenerative and aggravated by the falls caused by knee buckling)

- gout

- bilateral hearing loss

- chronic right shoulder pain (some loss of motion)

V/r

Shock

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

ExAirman,

All I can do is sit here and chuckle, (laughing at myself) because I believed if I took care of things on my end... Hopefully in a year (if all goes well) I can still laugh...as a matter of fact lets mark today as day one. Only 364 more days to go, perhaps in the end I will try and file a claim for a failed "funny bone".

Thanks for your insight

Shock

CShock,

To add my own two cents, I retired from Active Duty Air Force effective 1 March 2010 and had submitted my VA claim under the Quick Start program. I received my first claim result of 10%, for one of my 11 claimed issues. My other 10 issues were deferred for further consideration. Those claims are now walking through the system and I am again in the development phase of the process.

My experience in the quick start program is excessive long due to a mistake made by the VA with my physical address (they had it wrong and couldn't seem to get it straight between the VA Claims offices and the VA medical centers) which led to me not receiving proper notification of required events.

Thus if all goes well for you, you will most likely see a response within a year. If it goes not so well... you get the picture!

Good luck!

Xnavynuke

I will ensure that I request records for any and all future treatments, had an MRI last week for on going issues with left knee. Since I am now also a dependent for at least the next 3-4 years, I shouldn't have a probably obtaining copies of med. records. Not sure how it works with VAMC. Which brings up a question, is their a benefit to being seen a a MTF vs VAMC?

Shock

Xnavynuke

Thanks for the insight, I hadn't allowed myself to even remotely think this process would drag out until 2012, but after perusing the site I would be jaded (now) to think otherwise, it's just disappointing. Qucik start, BBD, yadda, yadda, yadda... At least I now feel I am informed and I can stop checking the ebenefits site everyday in hopes to see a change.

Shock

MTF is a Military Treatment Facility - otherwise known as a base hospital.

If you are a dependent of a military member you should have fairly uninhibited access to cost-free care at the MTF, but you will be competing for care with the active duty members.

At the VAMC you can be seen for free for your conditions that have been service connected (it is free above a certain percentage - I am not sure what the percentage is) and also depending on your disability percentage I believe you will be placed in certain priority levels when seek care - the higher the percentage the easier access to care.

The main benefits I see to using the MTF: It is probably closer to you than the VAMC and it is cost free. A negative would be you might have to wait longer for care.

That makes sense, I think I'll take my chances at the MTF. Not to mention until I receive my rating and SC is determined it seems little if any benefits exsist for me if I want to been seen at the VAMC. On a positive note my Ed Benefits kicked in effective this month and I have rec'd a payment.

Shock

MTF is a Military Treatment Facility - otherwise known as a base hospital.

If you are a dependent of a military member you should have fairly uninhibited access to cost-free care at the MTF, but you will be competing for care with the active duty members.

At the VAMC you can be seen for free for your conditions that have been service connected (it is free above a certain percentage - I am not sure what the percentage is) and also depending on your disability percentage I believe you will be placed in certain priority levels when seek care - the higher the percentage the easier access to care.

The main benefits I see to using the MTF: It is probably closer to you than the VAMC and it is cost free. A negative would be you might have to wait longer for care.

That makes sense, I think I'll take my chances at the MTF. Not to mention until I receive my rating and SC is determined it seems little if any benefits exsist for me if I want to been seen at the VAMC. On a positive note my Ed Benefits kicked in effective this month and I have rec'd a payment.

Shock

50% and above is free health care, not dental though-I believe you have to be 100% for that