Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Claim Developmental Phase

Rate this question

CShock

Question

Hello,

I’m new to Hadit and this is my first post. I was feeling pretty good about getting what I felt was a jump start on my C&P claiming by visiting a VSO 6 months prior to my effective retirement date of 28 Feb 11, meeting all my appts, providing info and completing my exam the first week on Nov. However after reading several post about the length of time to receive an award, I must say the wind has been taken out of my proverbial sail. I thought by filling under quick start/BBD that I could expect the process to run smoothly and “as advertised” I’m sure that elicits a chuckle from all who will read this.

So now for my question/concern, on 1 Mar I logged on to the ebenefits website and noticed that my claim was still in the development phase with a date of 1 Mar 11. This is quite discouraging since I visited the VSO office on 13 Oct and completed my exam the first week of Nov. Should I be concerned about the 1 March date or is this typical since I my last day of active duty was 28 Feb?

Additionally before ending my time active duty, I completed a sleep study and was diagnosed with sleep apnea and recommended for CPAP. I think I will wait until my initial results and then submit my paperwork for the sleep apnea. Thoughts?

Lastly my contentions are the following, which I don’t feel are a lot but possibly this is also a reason why I haven’t heard anything yet.

- hypertension (on meds)

- chronic bilateral knee pain (, osteoarthritis right knee, and 5 hyalgan injections. Left knee history of buckling with documented falls)

- s/p right surgery (rt knee ACL, PCL meniscus replacement and screws)

- scars and physical therapy (from rt. knee surgery 12 inches and eczema)

- chronic right wrist pain (frac)tured in 2010, some loss of motion

- right shin splints

- history of right leg cellulitis (hospitalized 4 days)

- chronic neck pain (degenerative and aggravated by the falls caused by knee buckling)

- gout

- bilateral hearing loss

- chronic right shoulder pain (some loss of motion)

V/r

Shock

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

It can be a discouraging phase of your life, going through the VA system. Remember though when you are approved your retroactive pay will go back to March 1st so that is a good thing.

It is really pretty much impossible to figure out how long your claims process will be, it's frustrating and disheartening but you are not alone. You must not be to discouraged, it's only April though it feels like a long time, it really isn't for the VA system. Just keep your head up and moving forward with your life. When it gets hard ask for support here and we will be there for you.

I have seen a claim approved in about 90 days but that is the fastest I have ever seen, now that doesn't mean it doesn't happen more often it's just the only one I've seen go that fast.

We know how you feel, waiting for the mail everyday, calling the 800 number, pacing the floor, pulling out your hair, it sucks. But hang in, if the stress because unbearable contact the VAMC and see if you can see a psychologist it may help you relieve some of the stress and frustration you feel.

Hello,

I'm new to Hadit and this is my first post. I was feeling pretty good about getting what I felt was a jump start on my C&P claiming by visiting a VSO 6 months prior to my effective retirement date of 28 Feb 11, meeting all my appts, providing info and completing my exam the first week on Nov. However after reading several post about the length of time to receive an award, I must say the wind has been taken out of my proverbial sail. I thought by filling under quick start/BBD that I could expect the process to run smoothly and "as advertised" I'm sure that elicits a chuckle from all who will read this.

So now for my question/concern, on 1 Mar I logged on to the ebenefits website and noticed that my claim was still in the development phase with a date of 1 Mar 11. This is quite discouraging since I visited the VSO office on 13 Oct and completed my exam the first week of Nov. Should I be concerned about the 1 March date or is this typical since I my last day of active duty was 28 Feb?

Additionally before ending my time active duty, I completed a sleep study and was diagnosed with sleep apnea and recommended for CPAP. I think I will wait until my initial results and then submit my paperwork for the sleep apnea. Thoughts?

Lastly my contentions are the following, which I don't feel are a lot but possibly this is also a reason why I haven't heard anything yet.

- hypertension (on meds)

- chronic bilateral knee pain (, osteoarthritis right knee, and 5 hyalgan injections. Left knee history of buckling with documented falls)

- s/p right surgery (rt knee ACL, PCL meniscus replacement and screws)

- scars and physical therapy (from rt. knee surgery 12 inches and eczema)

- chronic right wrist pain (frac)tured in 2010, some loss of motion

- right shin splints

- history of right leg cellulitis (hospitalized 4 days)

- chronic neck pain (degenerative and aggravated by the falls caused by knee buckling)

- gout

- bilateral hearing loss

- chronic right shoulder pain (some loss of motion)

V/r

Shock

Tbird and Carlie,

Thank you for the welcome and response. You mentioned that my claim would be retroactive effective 1 March, that's one of my concerns. During TAP and all the other information I have received, I was under the impression that when I initially filed my claim back in Oct, that this would be my claim start date and all retroactive activities (if any) would have the same date. Is this information incorrect or should I inquire about the 1 March date. I had a friend of mine receive his rating the day after his effective retirement date, utilzing the quick start program, all others not as lucky. Thanks for the insight and this is an amazing website full of all the information I could ever hope to find under one umbrella. Truly a benchmark website. Thanks again.

Shock

• HadIt.com Elder

Since you do have retirement pay you can afford to wait this out and appeal if you don't get what you thing you should get. Your effective date should be the day after discharge. I would think this will take some time 6-18 months is normal. As long as you have submitted the evidence and all claims you can only wait. Did you get a VCAA letter? If you are in treatment for all these problems stay in treatment at the VAMC. This will help document you continued problems.

Thanks for the info. Yes I did, received my letter on 20 Oct and sent in copies of treatment I had received for my left knee since I provided a copy of my medical recods to the VSO on 13 Oct. Perhaps I misunderstood the info which was provided at the time I submitted my claim. Now I know but it still seems confusing to me why the claim starts on 1 March 11, if the decision process is suppose to start 30 days after the date of receiving the VACC letter or I could request to waive the 30 days. Bottom line it seems I am at the mercy of the VA process.

Thanks for the info. Yes I did, received my letter on 20 Oct and sent in copies of treatment I had received for my left knee since I provided a copy of my medical recods to the VSO on 13 Oct. Perhaps I misunderstood the info which was provided at the time I submitted my claim. Now I know but it still seems confusing to me why the claim starts on 1 March 11, if the decision process is suppose to start 30 days after the date of receiving the VACC letter or I could request to waive the 30 days. Bottom line it seems I am at the mercy of the VA process.