Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Cfs

Rate this question

tdunford

Question

I just filed for disability compensation and they are in the process of getting my medical records. I know for a fact that I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I was medically, honorably discharged in 1996 and was in the Persian gulf. I was told that I would not quality for VA assistance so haven't persued it until recently. I was approved and put into Priority Group 3 as service-connected. I haven't been given a rating yet as I just filed for disability compensation. I have had chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms since the end of my tour. The last 4 years have been the worse with chronic headaches and joint/muscle pain. I had Kaiser and haven't been able to afford to keep it because I haven't been able to work in over 4 years.

I have 9 of the 10 symptoms of CFS and it is all documented in my medical records which I have right in front of me and will be sending to the regional office in support of my claim. I did not claim disability compensation due to CFS because I only recently heard about it and learned that I have it because I have had all of those symptoms for 15 years. I have been diagnosed as having chronic headaches and joint problems, GERD, concentration/memory issues, throat problems, etc... all of which are documented in my medical records.

My question is: What do I do now? I already filed for disability compensation due to the 4+ years of chronic headaches and also for bipolar which is what I was diagnosed with in the military. Should I get the CFS diagnosis somehow? And, if so, how do I go about getting the diagnosis? Can I simply add on to the disability compensation claim that I just turned in and add CFS to it or should I do something else? I learned that if I was diagnoses with CFS and have been unable to work for 4+ years that I would get a 100% disability rating which I should have in my opinion because it's impossible for me to work. Or, should I file for unemployabiltiy. I just don't know which direction to go and what order to do it in and I need asistance asap. What do you all suggest?

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

More than likely my MSR's were destroyed because I was discharged in 1996. Agree on that assumption?

I disagree, SMR/STR's are not to be destroyed like private medical records.

They become part of the complete C-file.

JMHO

Also, I will be filing for SSI as I am not eligable for SSDI. Should I wait until a decision has been made on the disability compensation claim or do you think I'm good to just move forward with the SSI application now? Did I read an accurate statement online that the Wounded Warriers Org. can put a "Expedite" label on the SSI application so it could get approved in about 2 months? Sorry for all the questions. Noob.

tdun,

IMO - since you were discharged in 1996 I do not feel you would be eligible for

anything related to Wounded Warrior.

I sure could be wrong on this but I do not think so.

Can I file for TDIU even though I just filed for disability compensation and haven't even been given a disability rating yet?

You also asked this question here:

Try to ask the same question in only one place.

How long will it take to at least get the disability rating? Or is that also given right when the make and inform me of the decision?

It takes as long as it takes - they don't have a time frame they must meet. Could be 12 - 24 - 36 months.

Because I have the skin disease with the cysts and all the other CFS symptoms, I don't have to have anything diagnosed while I was in, correct? Because they know that I was in the persian gulf and they know that those symptoms are common from gulf war vets? I did have the bipolar, fatigue and sleeping problems diagnosed in my SMR's. Will that be enough in my case to justify service-connected.

There is no way to tell.

Plus these diagnosed illnesses that were diagnosed by a Private doctor within the last 4 years:

Chronic Daily Headache

Bipolar

Chronic Depression

Pain Medication Management Plan

GERD

Chronic Rhinitis

Skin Cysts (developed during the end of tour and had surgery right after to remove some. Many still exist)

Exophoria (Eyes deviate outwards)

Leg Pain

Sciatica - Nerve Pain

Lower Back Pain

Joint Pain

Muscle Aches

Fatigue

Allergic Rhinosinusitis

Upper Facial Weakness

"ABNL Finding on EKG"

But I did and still do have more of the CFS symptoms that was not diagnosed by the IMO during the last 4 years that include:

Severe painful headaches

Muscle Aches

Fatigue

Joint Pain

Inability to Focus

Cannot Concentrate

Memory Failure

Sleeping Problems

Cannot Work

Bedridden Most of the time

Sore Throat

Minor Fevers

Neck becomes tender

Energy problems

Just because a claimant has symptoms and/or a diagnosis does not ensure SC.

To get SC granted you must have:

1) an in-service injury, illness, disease, event. <br style="min-width: 0px; ">2) a current disability. <br style="min-width: 0px; ">3) a nexus (medical connection linking the two above)

And, finally, does the VA tend to make a decision on a claim faster if they know that a lawyer is representing you?

No, having a lawyer on record will not in any way help your claim issues to be adjudicated any faster.

You might want to read the full link posted below.

http://www.hadit.com/veterans_self_help_guide.html'>http://www.hadit.com/veterans_self_help_guide.html

Also - check out the information on Hadit's homepage.

http://www.hadit.com/

JMHO

Can I file for TDIU even though I just filed for disability compensation and haven't even been given a disability rating yet?

You also asked this question here:

Try to ask the same question in only one place.

How long will it take to at least get the disability rating? Or is that also given right when the make and inform me of the decision?

It takes as long as it takes - they don't have a time frame they must meet. Could be 12 - 24 - 36 months.

Because I have the skin disease with the cysts and all the other CFS symptoms, I don't have to have anything diagnosed while I was in, correct? Because they know that I was in the persian gulf and they know that those symptoms are common from gulf war vets? I did have the bipolar, fatigue and sleeping problems diagnosed in my SMR's. Will that be enough in my case to justify service-connected.

There is no way to tell.

Plus these diagnosed illnesses that were diagnosed by a Private doctor within the last 4 years:

Chronic Daily Headache

Bipolar

Chronic Depression

Pain Medication Management Plan

GERD

Chronic Rhinitis

Skin Cysts (developed during the end of tour and had surgery right after to remove some. Many still exist)

Exophoria (Eyes deviate outwards)

Leg Pain

Sciatica - Nerve Pain

Lower Back Pain

Joint Pain

Muscle Aches

Fatigue

Allergic Rhinosinusitis

Upper Facial Weakness

"ABNL Finding on EKG"

But I did and still do have more of the CFS symptoms that was not diagnosed by the IMO during the last 4 years that include:

Severe painful headaches

Muscle Aches

Fatigue

Joint Pain

Inability to Focus

Cannot Concentrate

Memory Failure

Sleeping Problems

Cannot Work

Bedridden Most of the time

Sore Throat

Minor Fevers

Neck becomes tender

Energy problems

Just because a claimant has symptoms and/or a diagnosis does not ensure SC.

To get SC granted you must have:

1) an in-service injury, illness, disease, event. <br style="min-width: 0px; ">2) a current disability. <br style="min-width: 0px; ">3) a nexus (medical connection linking the two above)

And, finally, does the VA tend to make a decision on a claim faster if they know that a lawyer is representing you?

No, having a lawyer on record will not in any way help your claim issues to be adjudicated any faster.

You might want to read the full link posted below.

http://www.hadit.com/veterans_self_help_guide.html'>http://www.hadit.com/veterans_self_help_guide.html

Also - check out the information on Hadit's homepage.

http://www.hadit.com/

JMHO

• HadIt.com Elder

tdunford:

What you probably will need is a Doctor's opinion that diagnoses you with CFS that links it to your service. You may win your claim with what you have already submitted and the medical records available to Military. I served 1968-70 and all my medical records except my basic and AIT training were in the records.

If you lose at the first level you probably will need to get a complete copy of your C file. Right now asking for it could slow them down not that the VA needs an excuse. If you can go to the VARO you can request an opportunity to review your C File and with an appointment you can go through it fairly quickly. Most of the VA Councellors are helpful and may even make a few copies of important info for you.

If you win your claim you should also request a ful and complete copy of your C file you never know when you will need it.

Other records that are important to request are the records the VA Hospital you go to especially the progress notes.

Good Luck on your claim

If you have the symptoms then you file for the symptoms, List each one out out like this. " joint pain, muscle pains, chronic fatigue ----- due to may service in the gulf as per to CFR 38 section 3.317 / possible chronic fatigue syndrome."

There is a very good site on this at

http://vets.yuku.com/topic/3746/Comp-for-Disabilities-associated-with-Gulf-War-Service

I just filed for disability compensation and they are in the process of getting my medical records. I know for a fact that I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I was medically, honorably discharged in 1996 and was in the Persian gulf. I was told that I would not quality for VA assistance so haven't persued it until recently. I was approved and put into Priority Group 3 as service-connected. I haven't been given a rating yet as I just filed for disability compensation. I have had chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms since the end of my tour. The last 4 years have been the worse with chronic headaches and joint/muscle pain. I had Kaiser and haven't been able to afford to keep it because I haven't been able to work in over 4 years.

I have 9 of the 10 symptoms of CFS and it is all documented in my medical records which I have right in front of me and will be sending to the regional office in support of my claim. I did not claim disability compensation due to CFS because I only recently heard about it and learned that I have it because I have had all of those symptoms for 15 years. I have been diagnosed as having chronic headaches and joint problems, GERD, concentration/memory issues, throat problems, etc... all of which are documented in my medical records.

My question is: What do I do now? I already filed for disability compensation due to the 4+ years of chronic headaches and also for bipolar which is what I was diagnosed with in the military. Should I get the CFS diagnosis somehow? And, if so, how do I go about getting the diagnosis? Can I simply add on to the disability compensation claim that I just turned in and add CFS to it or should I do something else? I learned that if I was diagnoses with CFS and have been unable to work for 4+ years that I would get a 100% disability rating which I should have in my opinion because it's impossible for me to work. Or, should I file for unemployabiltiy. I just don't know which direction to go and what order to do it in and I need asistance asap. What do you all suggest?