VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Simple Math Question....i Think

Rate this question

crawsfire

Question

So I previously posted that the Va in its infinite wisdom granted my spouse CH. 35 benefits with a retro starting date. The letter says "Based on Legislative changes on DEA requirements, we determined you are eligible to receive DEA benefits effective April 26, 2001, your date of marriage to the Veteran. You have 10 years or until April 16, 2011 to receive DEA benefits."

I'm I missing something or are they cutting short her benefits by 10 days? Shouldn't her eligibility end on Apr. 26 2011? It matters because she in school full time this quarter so she would be losing $300.00. Should I file a NOD? Thanks.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

My suggestion would be before you file a NOD, have her contact VA Education Dept. and ask if it was a typo and see what the answer might be. It could be something very simple like that and then you can go from there.

My suggestion would be before you file a NOD, have her contact VA Education Dept. and ask if it was a typo and see what the answer might be. It could be something very simple like that and then you can go from there.

Ok, I guess i could do that. The last time I called I was on hold for two hours just to get an I don't know response.

• HadIt.com Elder

Technically, I believe it should be midnight April 25, 2011. I'd just drop them a note requesting a correction of the date, which would probably be $270. That's something they can correct quickly. Happy anniversary, Tuesday! jmo

pr

So I previously posted that the Va in its infinite wisdom granted my spouse CH. 35 benefits with a retro starting date. The letter says "Based on Legislative changes on DEA requirements, we determined you are eligible to receive DEA benefits effective April 26, 2001, your date of marriage to the Veteran. You have 10 years or until April 16, 2011 to receive DEA benefits."

I'm I missing something or are they cutting short her benefits by 10 days? Shouldn't her eligibility end on Apr. 26 2011? It matters because she in school full time this quarter so she would be losing $300.00. Should I file a NOD? Thanks.

Edited by Philip Rogers

Request a waiver so that your wife is able to complete her education if she has not used all of her alloted months. They are routinely granted.

Request a waiver so that your wife is able to complete her education if she has not used all of her alloted months. They are routinely granted.

Really? That would be great. Is there a specific form I should use or? I think she should be granted an extension because they didn't notify her that she was eligible for benefits until she only had a couple of weeks of eligibilty left. She still has two more quarters of school before she takes her RN exam.

Edited by crawsfire