VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Malaria

Rate this question

stony105

Question

when i was discharged from the army i recieved 50 per cent disability for one year then they dropped it. i still have flare ups,is it possible to reopen a claim for this, currently recieving 50 per cent for ptsd. thank you

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Malaria is considered a chronic disease. I think you could re-open that claim if you have flare ups . I guess when they dropped your 50% claim you did not appeal it? You would want to provide evidence of flare ups. The VA screwed you I think. How could they conclude that a chronic disease was cured just because you did not have immediate flare up? I would like to see that regulation.

Malaria is rated this way:

"6304 Malaria:

As active disease 100

Note: The diagnosis of malaria depends on the identification of the malarial parasites in blood smears. If the veteran served in an endemic area and presents signs and symptoms compatible with malaria, the diagnosis may be based on clinical grounds alone. Relapses must be confirmed by the presence of malarial parasites in blood smears.

Thereafter rate residuals such as liver or spleen damage under the appropriate system"

VA Schedule of Ratings.

I dont understand the 50 % rating you got. What residuals did they rate at 50%?

Do you have documented confirmed testings for parasites during flare ups since they dropped the 50%?

Edited by Berta

this was 40 years ago. the one time i went to the emegency room with a flareup ,the person i saw said i didnt have malaria that it was just a virus and didnt even take a blood sample. the other times i have just rode it out. thanks for your replies