Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

When Should New Evidence Be Submitted?

Rate this question

handler

Question

I would like some advice and opinions on when I should submit some new evidence.

To fill you in a little, I submitted claims for IHD, PTSD, and other claims. Received my decision letter and was given a total rating of 60%. IHD 30%, PTSD 30% and a couple 10%. One claim deferred.

I also submitted the form 21-8940 for TDIU which was denied.

I have submitted a NOD (to the DRO) for the PTSD and IU issues and the process is now in the development stage. I did not submit a NOD for the IHD.

Recently I have obtained a great IMO from my cardiologist confirming that I am totally and permanently disable due to my IHD. I also have had some further medical problems and it will reinforce what the doc has written. (I should state at this point SSDI has deemed me permanent/total solely for IHD since 1990 but apparently the VA didn't agree)

My main question is when can/should I submit the new doctor evidence and supporting documents? Now, while the NOD is in the development stage or wait until I am sent the SOC.

Thanks for any advice

handler

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

handler,

BE SURE to put the REPLY TO : Info on the additional evidence you

are submitting.

If possible, go to your RO and submit this evidence in person

and get a date stamped copy.

handler,

BE SURE to put the REPLY TO : Info on the additional evidence you

are submitting.

If possible, go to your RO and submit this evidence in person

and get a date stamped copy.

Thanks Carlie for your reply.

Since I live about 200 miles from the RO I plan on having my VSO fax the documents directly to them and also to send them a hard copy via registered return receipt mail.

Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by Be Sure to put Reply to: info......? Are you talking about the header on the docs letter?

And while I am bothering you with questions, is there a specific or suggested format for the Reconsideration letter?

Thanks so much

Handler..........If you are already rated at 60% for IHD then the next highest rating is 100%. In order to be granted the 100% you must have medical evidence from a doctor that shows your LVEF is 30% or less or your METS are 3 or less. That is the standard that the VA uses for the rating.

Good luck and keep up the fight.

Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by Be Sure to put Reply to: info......? Are you talking about the header on the docs letter?

handler,

On the Rating Decision (that you are either Nodding or requesting reconsideration on)

at the top right hand side it should have something that shows something like the following,

In Reply Refer To : 123/ABC/DEF/ghi

C 123 456

XXX,XXX XXX

handler,

On the Rating Decision (that you are either Nodding or requesting reconsideration on)

at the top right hand side it should have something that shows something like the following,

In Reply Refer To : 123/ABC/DEF/ghi

C 123 456

XXX,XXX XXX

Thank you Carlie.

That is one thing that I do remember to do each time.

Handler..........If you are already rated at 60% for IHD then the next highest rating is 100%. In order to be granted the 100% you must have medical evidence from a doctor that shows your LVEF is 30% or less or your METS are 3 or less. That is the standard that the VA uses for the rating.

Good luck and keep up the fight.

3trn,

OR........... as discussed in the thread, the claimant can file for IU due to IHD and if granted

will be compensated at the 100 % amount.