Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Kabul Afghanistan - Air Quality, Smoke And Burn Pits

Rate this question

Sailorgirl

Question

Anyone who was stationed in Kabul Afghanistan had problems with thyroid and breathing problems?

Right after I got back from Kabul, I developed a thyroid problem. No blood or lab were done. So I have a problem proving it.

I have all my documents stating I was healthy, but one problem, the Navy never did a TSH test before I left to afghanistan and when I came back.

The only thing I could prove is my immediate medical changes right after I got back.

Then someone email me information stating about the air quality and burn pits could be the cause of my problem.

So how do I prove this? And how it's connected to my condition?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all..

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Great information Berta.

I word searced it for thyroid and found nothing. However, there is a lot on breathing problems, which is a symptom this veteran discussed.

It would be beneficial it the veteran provided the original diagnosis of the breathing problems and the current diagnosis.

Thank you, Hoppy and Bertha for your help.

As for my thyroid, I was diagnosed by the VA hospital 17 months after my discharged from active duty. But my so-call medical doctor stated that

I had the multinodulars for awhile even during my active duty, but yet yesterday, he told me he won't fight with the VA. He won't even write the nexus letter with his opinion.

His reason, is he doesn't have the time or the staff to go over the paperworks. Wow! I'm was in total shock and upset with this.

Now, I'm wondering where to go from here.

As for my breathing, I've been taking two inhalers prescribed by VA doctors and my primary doctor for my shortness of breath, in which in my records it states after my PT run, I had a breathing problems, and

the military doctor stated, "particulate in air" and yet I got 0% and not service connected.

I filed a NOD and now I'm trying to gather all my medical evidence so I could mail it out by Monday (if possible).

I got 10% for migraines.

"Right after I got back from Kabul, I developed a thyroid problem."

If you were diagnosed while on active duty or with one year of your discharge from active duty you do not need to prove what

caused your condition. It would be classified as occuring proximate to service and if it meets the criteria for a rating they

should service connect your condition.

What was the diagnosis or symptoms involved in your breathing problems?

SG,

It would be a big help if you can post what you are filing a NOD on

and what was stated in the Reasons and Bases Section on the Rating Decision,

without name, SSA #, etc...

• HadIt.com Elder

But my so-call medical doctor stated that

I had the multinodulars for awhile even during my active duty, but yet yesterday,

Is this a VA doctor? What does he mean he does not have the time? Is he being paid by a insurance company? I could see where a insurance company would not pay him for this type of report.

If you file a claim the VA should file a C&P exam based on a current diagnosis of a thyroid problem. There would be even more reason for the VA to schedule a C&P if you can get him to write a note that you had multinodulars for a while on active duty. A doctor does not need to write a nexus letter in order for the VA to schedule a C&P exam. The note only needs to suggest a possible link between a current diagnosis and an in-service problem or event. The C&P examiner would be required to make a nexus opinion.

I have been involved in several claims that were denied without a C&P and later awarded. The VA claims this happens in 1 of about 500 claims. I think there stats are corrupt. In any event they really should schedule a C&P if you have a current diagnosis.

If he is not a VA doctor, try asking your primary care doctor. VA doctors are not required to do much other than make a current diagnosis and an assessment of your current fitness for duty (work). However, some VA doctors will get involved and write nexus letters. I have been involved with veterans who went to their treating VA psychologist to get a nexus letter and were refused, then went to their treating VA psychiatrist the next day and got the letter from their VA psychiatrist.

If you were already denied for either the thyroid or the breathing problems without a C&P, post the exact wording they used in the denial so we can pick it apart.

Similar symptoms in the military and post service can be interpreted as showing chronicity of whatever diagnosis they give you post service. It sounds like the military doctor was trying to say your breathing problems were a temporary acute condition due to particulates in the air. However, when the symptoms continue they need to re-assess to determine if the in-service symptoms were early symptoms of a chronic condition. This is all supposed to be done through C&P exams.

"The veteran's lay statements and his service in either Iraq,Aghanistan, or Djibouti was enough to concede his exposure to environmental agents and toxins specifically from burn pits."

Veterans who served on asbestos infested U.S. Navy ships have had to jump through hoops and whatever obstacles are put in front of us to prove that we were exposed to asbestos. Some of us veterans are now paying the price for that exposure and continue to be stonewalled by the VA in having to prove that we were exposed to asbestos. The Navy and VA have acknowledged that asbestos existed in many WW2 type ships we served on, yet will not accept our lay statements. Even after proving that our military jobs were of the type that required working with and near asbestos the VA still makes it difficult to get a VA claim approved.JMO

68mustang