Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Ptsd/pain Claims

Rate this question

Cpl. B

Question

I am new to posting on the forums here but was looking for some advice.

I served from 2000 to 2004 in the Marine Corps (0311 Infantry) and then from 2006 to 2010 in the army national guard(92A automated supply).

I was seen once in my marine service for depression, saw no direct combat, went down several times as a heat casualty, and beat my body up

pretty bad. On 9/11/2001 we were woken up to watch the news feeds of the planes crashing into the twin towers. Not an hour later we were

loaded up and standing post on another installation in Japan in the middle of a typhoon. About a year and a half later we were deployed to Bahrain

on the security crews for the pre-positioning ships around the Gulf, set on high alert and spun up all the time.

The long and short of it is, I almost feel ashamed to put in a claim for PTSD due to those two stressors, but I am experiencing most of the symptoms

of PTSD to a point that I have been married, divorced, walked away from several very good jobs because I cant deal with being around people, I have

horible nightmares of things that I feared would happen while we were deployed but never actually happened, etc...

I have a diagnosis of PTSD and have been being treated by the VA for about a year for it now and am just now coming to filing a claim, again because I

sort of felt ashamed to.

I have 2 main questions..... to start out with.

1. Is there any chance of winning a claim like this for PTSD?

2. Since I rarely went to medical while in service will I be able to claim my joint issues?

Thank you for reading and any help...

Cpl. B

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I hand carried all my medical records out in 2002, so i had my own copy. Seemed to work well at the time.

Good luck.

CAS

haha

Awesome... was just wondering because I am currently in school and the only reason I am is because it is paying for me to live. It causes me horible mental and physical issues to even go out to do the shopping let alone sit in a class with 20 strangers that I really dont want to get to know.

I really wish I hadnt been so stuborn and had filed my claims when I got out of the corps in 2004.

Cpl. B

I really wish that I had done that and I really wish I had taken the time to go to medical more for the stuff that is now serious problems.

It aughta be fun connecting some of these joint issues with service.

Cpl. B

One other thing that I'm kind of concerned with... My VA therapist told me that she thought that my going to school was a bad idea both for my mental status and in that it is proving to the VA that I am functional and could hurt my claim. My major problem is that is currently my only source of income. Yes, it is putting me further and further in debt but it is keeping me going. The other problem is that I am doing horrible at school, as I don't do well around people (think my girlfriend called it agorophobia or something).

So, long and short of it, is going to and failing at school going to affect my claims process in any way, for either my VA claim or my SSDI claim?

Thank you for any input.

Cpl. B

Well, already have my appointments scheduled. All this month. So now just gotta go to them and start the next process in the "Hurry Up and Wait" system.

Thanks again for the advice and support.

Cpl. B

Brief update on my end. I have had my appointments for my ankles, knees, hips, shoulder and neck... also my psych issues... Just waiting on my exams for my back...

Anybody know any way to check as to why they haven't scheduled that appointment?

Anyway, all is going "Ok" here...

Hope everyone is doing well..

Cpl. B