Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Family Caregiver Program Eligibility For Ptsd Rated Sc Veteran Post 9/11

Rate this question

Draggin'

Question

I am only providing the information that show that a veteran with SC (Rated and Service Connected) PTSD could be eligible for the new Caregiver program that just started in May 2011. Others may be eligible and there is a lot more info out there! Hope this helps, I wanted to figure this out before applying with the wife.

Here's the link to where I found the info: VA-2011-VHA-0012-0001.pdf (EDIT-since I posted this, the VA has moved the information that was attached to this link, and I have yet to find it elsewhere)

Before I go further, I must say this. Although I am thankful for this benefit...I do find it backwards and unfortunate to not take care of the previous generations of veterans first. Thanks to YOU for MY freedom. Draggin'

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A veteran or servicemember is eligible for a Primary or Secondary Family Caregiver under this part if she or he meets all of the following requirements:

a) The individual is a veteran

b) The individual has a serious injury, including traumatic brain injury, psychological trauma, or other mental disorder, incurred or aggravated in the line of duty in the active military, naval, or air service on or after September 11, 2001. (PTSD).

c) Such serious injury renders the individual in need of personal care services for a minimum of 6 continuous months (based on a clinical determination), based on any ONE of the following 4 clinical criteria: (Only showing #2 of the 4)

2. Need for supervision, assistance or protection based on symptoms or residuals of neurological or other impairment or injury is the 2nd alternative basis for a determination that an individual is in need of personal care services.

Also stated as:

Need for supervision or protection based on symptoms or residuals of neurological or other impairment or injury means requiring supervision or assistance for any of the following reasons (p.26):

• (1) Seizures (blackouts or lapses in mental awareness, etc.);
  • (2) Difficulty with planning and organizing (such as the ability to adhere
  • to medication regimen);
  • (3) Safety risks (wandering outside the home, danger of falling, using electrical appliances, etc.);
  • (4) Difficulty with sleep regulation;
  • (5) Delusions or hallucinations;
  • (6) Difficulty with recent memory;and
  • (7) Self regulation (being able to moderate moods, agitation or aggression, etc.).

d) A clinical determination has been made that it is in the best interest of the individual to participate in the program.

e) Personal care services that would be provided by the Family Caregiver will not be simultaneously and regularly provided by or through another individual or entity.

f) The individual agrees to receive care at home after VA designates a Family Caregiver.

g) The individual agrees to receive ongoing care from a primary care team after VA designates a Family Caregiver.

Edited by Draggin'

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My wife and I applied for this and are in the process of getting approved.

In my case the caregiver coordinator called my doctor, but the doctor said since he has only seen me a couple of times, he wanted to see me to fill out his portion of the paperwork. I am not sure that the docs are required to interview the patients or not. But, I do know that the doctor only had 48 hours to complete the interview. The doc called me and left a message on Friday to come in on Monday at 8am. This is what I did (along with wife). Doctor talked to me alone, which is different as my wife always goes with me to help me remember things. Within 2 hours of seeing the doctor the caregiver coordinator was calling my wife and following up with her. Wife is now awaiting training packet from Easter Seals. She has to complete it and then they will send someone to do a home visit.

They did not ask about driving, either with me or my wife...which I found bizarre. Although the coordinator mentioned travel pay for my wife. But they do not seem to use inability to drive as part of the critieria. Seems logical to me that driving would be considered under safety risk but I guess it's not?

Those of us with "less big" (not that I am making small of anyone's disabilities and problems) and apparent problems still need help! Which is why they have different levels of severity considered when it comes to the amount of hours they give to the caregiver (they give you points based on the clinical evaluation). This is not a case of all or nothing.

They seem to be in a big hurry to get people started on this...finally. I truly hope that they get this implemented as intended and move on to help more veterans soon.

Good luck to all of you!

Draggin'

• HadIt.com Elder

I hope that you get it approved quickly but don't expect the VA to move as fast as it should.

I had contacted the Caregiver rep here in my area just before it was approved. At the time she was uncertain of what the rules were going to be but kept my information. After the new regulation came out, and I reviewed it, I found exactly what Draggin' is talking about. There are multiple reasons a Veteran can be approved for the porgram, to include, Difficulty walking up stairs, unable to be responsible for medication, and many others, some listed by Draggin.

The VA rep called me and said I was not eligible and I inquired as to why? She said because I had to meet the criteria for Aid & Attendance or Housebound?? I explained that there were more criteria for qualification than that and at this point I guess I was being a little too aggressive because she said she did not want to argue. I told her I would be sending an email with the reasons why I thought we would qualify and the parts of the instruction that I met. As Draggin pointed out, driving is not an issue which does seem very strange because if you cannot drive, how in the hell can you get medical care? Food? Clothing? And the fact that side effects from medication is not considered either. I take the zombie drug along with Morphine and 10mg strength Hydrocodone, zoloft, and other meds that all have dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and many other effects as well as "don't drive"

I sent her a snippet of the instruction and a brief statement. I waited about a week and after not hearing anything I sent her an email and she said they are now processing my application. My inital mistake was expecting the VA rep to know the regulations, but I realized that this is only 1 of several taks she is taking care of, and the requirements they were all given verbally was for Veterans who were in receipt of, or met the physical requirements for A&A or Housebound. So she had to take the time to read the regulation after it was changed. This was the program that Senator Murray got in Secretary Shinseki's butt about 2 months ago. They were going to make the qualification so difficult only parapalegic Veterans would qualify. That was one of the quotes the rep gave me about applying, she told me she had a blind guy and a quadrapalegic, and was comparing my disabilities to them. I am sorry that these Veterans are so seriously injured, but their injuires have nothing to do with my circumstances and whether or not they I qualify. I agree 100% they should be first in line, but that doesn't disqualify all other Veterans who are not that seriously injured.

As this progresses I am sure you will hear more from Draggin' and myself about this topic.

• Founder

If anyone who has PTSD and no qualifying physical disabilities please post your experience applying for this.

I asked some questions about this and was given the impression PTSD alone does not qualify. That's been some time ago before they started this program.

As this progresses I am sure you will hear more from Draggin' and myself about this topic.

Yes, I can't wait!

Draggin'