Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Family Caregiver Program Eligibility For Ptsd Rated Sc Veteran Post 9/11

Rate this question

Draggin'

Question

I am only providing the information that show that a veteran with SC (Rated and Service Connected) PTSD could be eligible for the new Caregiver program that just started in May 2011. Others may be eligible and there is a lot more info out there! Hope this helps, I wanted to figure this out before applying with the wife.

Here's the link to where I found the info: VA-2011-VHA-0012-0001.pdf (EDIT-since I posted this, the VA has moved the information that was attached to this link, and I have yet to find it elsewhere)

Before I go further, I must say this. Although I am thankful for this benefit...I do find it backwards and unfortunate to not take care of the previous generations of veterans first. Thanks to YOU for MY freedom. Draggin'

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A veteran or servicemember is eligible for a Primary or Secondary Family Caregiver under this part if she or he meets all of the following requirements:

a) The individual is a veteran

b) The individual has a serious injury, including traumatic brain injury, psychological trauma, or other mental disorder, incurred or aggravated in the line of duty in the active military, naval, or air service on or after September 11, 2001. (PTSD).

c) Such serious injury renders the individual in need of personal care services for a minimum of 6 continuous months (based on a clinical determination), based on any ONE of the following 4 clinical criteria: (Only showing #2 of the 4)

2. Need for supervision, assistance or protection based on symptoms or residuals of neurological or other impairment or injury is the 2nd alternative basis for a determination that an individual is in need of personal care services.

Also stated as:

Need for supervision or protection based on symptoms or residuals of neurological or other impairment or injury means requiring supervision or assistance for any of the following reasons (p.26):

• (1) Seizures (blackouts or lapses in mental awareness, etc.);
  • (2) Difficulty with planning and organizing (such as the ability to adhere
  • to medication regimen);
  • (3) Safety risks (wandering outside the home, danger of falling, using electrical appliances, etc.);
  • (4) Difficulty with sleep regulation;
  • (5) Delusions or hallucinations;
  • (6) Difficulty with recent memory;and
  • (7) Self regulation (being able to moderate moods, agitation or aggression, etc.).

d) A clinical determination has been made that it is in the best interest of the individual to participate in the program.

e) Personal care services that would be provided by the Family Caregiver will not be simultaneously and regularly provided by or through another individual or entity.

f) The individual agrees to receive care at home after VA designates a Family Caregiver.

g) The individual agrees to receive ongoing care from a primary care team after VA designates a Family Caregiver.

Edited by Draggin'

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Not really! VA actions often have no logical rhyme or reason, unless you postulate that reducing costs in some way is involved, and has become the main goal.

I'd guess that the VA is:

Revising the information. Then, the revisions need internal VA approval. Now, the politicians get involved, since they drove the changes.

Finally, information eventually maybe) makes it back to the website.

Of course, a paranoid opinion might be:

The VA has more applications (and even possibly approvals) than it wants to deal with. What better way to slow things down than to pull key information telling veterans, representatives, and care givers

what the criteria is and so forth.

Kind of strange, them suddenly taking down the information on the qualifications for the program???

My vote goes for the paranoid decision. Maybe I'm jaded, but it sounds typical. Although, they are continuing to move very quickly in our case.

May 17, 2011-Application sent regular mail

June 3, 2011-Called by Coordinator to let me know I need to see doctor for evaluation since I've barely seen him (I was informed the doctor only has 48 hours to do this)

June 6, 2011-I see doctor and he fills out evaluation

June 6, 2011-Caregiver coordinator speaks with caregiver and sends info to Easter Seals who is teamed up with VA to train caregivers

June 8, 2011 (email) and June 10, 2011 (regular mail)-Receives caregiver training package from Easter Seals

June 14, 2011-Caregiver completes training and turn it test portion (via email)

June 16, 2011-Via email-Easter Seals has graded caregiver test, informs they are sending completion certificate to caregiver and coordinator. Also informed that both will be sent official certificate of completion in regular mail.

Currently-awaiting call from coordinator, I guess, to set up home visit

Draggin'

At least as likely as not.

When I emailed the qualifying requirements to the rep here at the VAMC she was a little shocked. She had stuck to her guns, even though the new information had come out, that I had to qualify for A&A in order to enter the program. Then I asked for the denial letter and she said our request was moving forward.

I wonder if that means we will get into the program? because when I called the caregiver 800# and asked, what if the rep determines we are not qualified and I disagree. She said that it was really the decision of the rep, and the results of the exam that would determine if we qualified. Basically she said if the rep does not think you meet the requirements they will just tell you no.

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't understand why vets previous to 9/11 don't rate a paid caregiver. If any vets will be needing caregivers it will be the RVN era vets in the next few years. We Vietnam era vets are dead to the world as far as our fellow citizens and government are concerned.

I don't understand why vets previous to 9/11 don't rate a paid caregiver. If any vets will be needing caregivers it will be the RVN era vets in the next few years. We Vietnam era vets are dead to the world as far as our fellow citizens and government are concerned.

They look upon our generation as having one foot already in the grave due to their lack of recognizing our illnesses and not treating them for many years. I'm just guesing but i believe about 30% of the VN era vets have already died of service related but untreated health problems. About 50% of us are at the age that our ilnesses and injuries are a major portion of our life and if denied treatment our normal life cycles will be shortened and they know it. They see our medical records and probably have betting sheets on when each of us will expire. They know that all we need is a little stress applied here or there and Our bodies would give up. We have been ghosts for along time now. The greatest generation, the WW2 vets are almost gone and all the focus has gone to the newer vets which neglect was made aware a few years ago on the east coast. The system was shown for what they are. They need to take care of all vets equally. We have waited in line patiently, and we have finally ran out of that patience. We can no longer ask for benefits long owed us. It is time for us ALL to DEMAND the health care. Like my local VA hospital, they have no cardiology dept or any cardiologist on staff. For the elderly like my self and many other VN vets our ages demand those type of drs available at all times. Since my heart surgery(by a civilian hospital) 2 1/2 years ago, I have yet to see any cardiologist by the VA. I did pay for one myself to get some questions answered that the VA failed to get me.It is a training hospital for the Uof Washington which might be fine for the younger vets but us ole farts desiree someone with experience with live bodies.Thanks for letting me vent!! Mike

Your caregiver rep sounds like she needs to get with the program or she'll wrongly denying people over and over. I wonder if there's any way to deal with someone above her and bring her lack of knowledge to their attention.

Draggin'

At least as likely as not.

When I emailed the qualifying requirements to the rep here at the VAMC she was a little shocked. She had stuck to her guns, even though the new information had come out, that I had to qualify for A&A in order to enter the program. Then I asked for the denial letter and she said our request was moving forward.

I wonder if that means we will get into the program? because when I called the caregiver 800# and asked, what if the rep determines we are not qualified and I disagree. She said that it was really the decision of the rep, and the results of the exam that would determine if we qualified. Basically she said if the rep does not think you meet the requirements they will just tell you no.