VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension

Rate this question

Billyboy

Question

Here’s a stupid question, I am on B/P meds and would like to know if the VA sends me to a Dr. for this B/P check, once every half hour, how they going to tell what my B/P is if I’m on meds?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Exactly! They did the same thing to me. It would have been better for you had you not been prescribed blood pressure medication yet so that your exam would reflect the true blood pressure readings. B)

Guest frank
How about not taking the dam stuff so they can see what it's really like!!!!!!!!!
dear billy boy the best way to find out your true b/p is to wear a monitor,for 24 hours, this will take your blood pressure every 15 mins,after 12, it will slow down to every 30 mins,this is the only test that would prove if you have high blood pressure or not. frank

Exactly! They did the same thing to me. It would have been better for you had you not been prescribed blood pressure medication yet so that your exam would reflect the true blood pressure readings. B)

I have same problem, they say that my BP might not be high enough to claim Hypertension but, its controlled with meds now. So just giving me the medication you would think that it precludes to the obviousness that i have hypertension. I filed for hypertension as secondary to PTSD which seems like it would be on their list of secondary to PTSD ailments without having to go through all the paper shuffling, You either got it or you dont i would think.

I'm in the same situation. After I returned from Iraq and demobed as a reservist in 2003, I stated using the local VA clinic for my medical treatment. I was diagnosed three months later with hypertension and put on meds. My blood pressure reading were in the Stage 1 range. Bellow is the American heat Association guidelines:

American Heart Association recommended blood pressure levels

Blood Pressure Category Systolic

(mm Hg) Diastolic

(mm Hg)

Normal less than 120 and less than 80

Prehypertension 120–139 or 80–89

High

Stage 1 140–159 or 90–99

Stage 2 160 or higher or 100 or higher

I submitted a claim for VA Comp for hypertension since I was diagnosed within one year of release from active duty with high blood pressure by the VA. But the VA denied my claim. I have filed an appeal and am currently waiting on the VA’s response.

It makes no sense to me why the VA would diagnose me with hypertension, then put me on meds to control my hypertension, and then hold it against me that my blood pressure readings are not high enough for VA compensation because I'm on meds that are controlling my hypertension.

• HadIt.com Elder

mine hit stage 2 on meds and they keep denying my claimas a secondary condition, it is on appeal now to BVA, the VARO gives up nothing it doesn't have to, I think they are under the guidelines that if BVA awards it so be it, but the VARO appears to be denying most of the hypertension cases, I had a stroke within a year of discharge from Desert Storm and they have been denying that for 4 years. Nothing is fast, just keep you appeals active and don't miss any deadlines, persistence my friends, persistence....