Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Not Sure Where To Go From Here?

Rate this question

D_Sizzle

Question

Good day,

Bit of a background.....I retired from the AF last September. I was awarded 80% with sleep apnea, hypertension, and a slew of other ailments. I was recently diagnosed with Type II diabetes and filed a claim. I am still within my 1 year window of retiremnt. I just checked the EBenefits website to check the status and it says my attention is needed and the following comments:

We need evidence showing that the following condition(s) existed from military service to the presen...t time:

extreme burning and numbness in bilateral fee, diabetes mellitus type II

7/6/20118/6/2011Please submit medical evidence on your current disability as well a...s evidence showing a connection between your disability and your service connected condition. We will consider service connection for your as secondary to your service connected condition. Note: Temporary or intermittent flare ups of a condition are not considered aggravation, unless the underlying condition, as contrasted by symptoms, has gotten worse.

Any idea what I should do at this point?

Thanks,

Dave

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Since you filed within one year I think you just need evidence that you have PN which is secondary condition of DMII.

You do need evidence that your PN is secondary to you DMII. All that means is that a doctor has to say it. I have those conditions but due to AO. If your DMII is SC'ed you don't have to prove your PN was evident on active duty. Have you looked up DMII secondary conditions? There are many including PN, PAD, heart disease etc.

You need to order a copy of your medical records, if you have not already. If (when) you get them, review the records to see if the doc did provide said "nexus"...

the connection between your conditions and military service.

If you dont have a nexus, then you will need to get one to be awarded benefits with one of the 3:

1. Your regular VA doc/and or C and P exam.

2. If this doc refuses to provide you a nexus, then you should likely ask the VA for another Doc who might.

3. Finally if you cant get a VA doc to give you a nexus, then you should seek and independent Doc's IMO or IME.

Giving up on your nexus is giving up on your claim and not recommended unless you are convinced the military had nothing to do with your injury/illness.