Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally!

Rate this question

usnhmret

Question

I haven't said too much on here, but I have read a lot and gained a lot of knowledge, so I figure I should share my experience just in case it could help someone else.

I finally received my big envelope today. I knew to expect it because of the info I found on here. I found out about eBenefits here and had signed up about a month ago and was monitoring my status there pretty much everyday lately. I retired 6 years ago and first filed my claim in Buffalo, NY. I had a lot of help through the Amvet office. I eventually received a 90%(94%) rating about 9 months from my initial claim. There were some things that were denied that had pages of documentation, but for whatever reason were denied. My rep and I agreed at the time that 90% was good.

I'd always heard that 10 years after retiring your body will go to crap, well my didn't wait that long. I was putting in for an increase this past November/December. With my wife's work, she had a conversation with an older gentleman associated with NY State Division of Veteran's Affairs. He told her that they had a good track record and had helped him with his increase. So I decided to give them a shot. The guy who I spoke with has since moved but I'm sure they all would be helpful.

Like I said, I've been using eBenefits now for a month. That site really helps the compulsive people like me. Until that point I really felt like my claim was never going to get anywhere, but really, we are waiting on the government. When I stopped by the NY State Veteran's Affairs office, the secretary told me the average turnaround was 6-12 months. She also said something about Vietnam vet claims were moved to the front, so things could be delayed. eBenefits was a new lifeline. At least there was an actual status to see. When I first logged on to the site I was already in the "2-Decision" phase, so I'm not sure how long it was there, but I can't tell you how great it was to see it switched to the "3-Notification" phase. That was for only 1 day though. Here is something else I picked up from this forum, use the letter generator on eBenefits to find the results. But let me add this, don't take the results too soon. I did the first night that I was in notification status and I was still 90%. The next day I logged on and my status was switched to closed! I was really confused since I hadn't received anything yet, so I tried the letter generator again and there it was, 100%! I know this sounds paranoid, but even still I wasn't convinced. When I went the next day to the VA Dental clinic to get my status updated I was half waiting them to tell me that it was an error. Well, 3 days later my envelope arrived.

One more thing, I want to give a plug for the Buffalo VAMC. I was a corpsman for 20 years and I can tell you, I get better care at this VA than I did at ANY military hospital I ever worked at or was treated. I know not all VA medical centers are the same and get a bad rap, but this one, in my case in particular has been spectacular.

Thanks for all the info and support. I know most vets out there have real reasons to be pissed at the system we deal with, I can only hope they get treated the way they deserve. Good luck and God Bless.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Congratulations Usnhmret!

It's good to hear that you found Hadit helpful.You didn't state whether you got a P&T rating. Be sure to check out your state benefits, etc.

Congratulations Usnhmret!

It's good to hear that you found Hadit helpful.You didn't state whether you got a P&T rating. Be sure to check out your state benefits, etc.

It says "We assigned a permanent 100% disability evaluation for your service connected disability/disabilities effective December 21, 2010." Does that mean it's a P&T rating? Does that mean I won't have any more exams? That would be great, but for some reason with all the uncertainty going on in DC, I fear that would be one of the tools to reduce paying veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA can "review" an award, suggest that it be reduced, etc. and pull a veteran in for a new C&P, etc.

To Quote Berta, "VA can order a review of a disability any time they want."

"permanent 100% disability evaluation"

P&T = permanent and total. 100% is total.

'No further exams" is also usually stated somewhere in the award letter.

You should get various other related docs as well with or following the award letter, or by calling the VA and asking for them.

Life Insurance Application and CHAMPUS Application for spouse, dependents, etc.

are just two of the forms. CHAMPUS benefits can be available back to the EDD date. If there were significant medical expenses in this period, or

other medical insurance is too expensive, you should look into it. If the government screws around with Medicare too much, it might be of benefit.

Form for applying for Base ID to access Commissary, Exchange, and MWR(commander's discretion at some bases)

Note: DOD is in the process of changing the ID cards (Again) a particular base may still be issuing DD Form 2765 IDs, or a newer ID Card Form.

The back of the 2765 ID has a "standard" bar code and a complex digital code section, as well as the usual dates personal statistics, etc.

The newest card has another encoding scheme as well. The application form provided by the VA is obsolete, but contains the needed information anyway.

That information along with a picture they take is transferred to a system that is used to generate the ID card.

Once the ID card is issued, you have the option (take it) of registering in "DEERS"

Most bases are doing away with the vehicle stickers, etc. With the ID card, a "visitor's pass" is not needed.

Generally, you take the stack of paper the VA provided, your driver's license, another valid picture ID to the base visitor control center.

They provide a temporary visitor's pass, and directions to the unit that issues the ID card.

They are sort of "ticky" concerning documents proving that you are married, etc. to obtain your spouse's ID

(Since we did not have a "certified raised seal" copy, I had to use state department records to show that we were married, etc.)

It is kind of ironic that the original marriage was an "interdenominational" marriage, per "Canon law" ( https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Canon_law )

(A form of marriage recognized by at least all western nations, and a long story behind that one!)

It says "We assigned a permanent 100% disability evaluation for your service connected disability/disabilities effective December 21, 2010." Does that mean it's a P&T rating? Does that mean I won't have any more exams? That would be great, but for some reason with all the uncertainty going on in DC, I fear that would be one of the tools to reduce paying veterans.

The VA can "review" an award, suggest that it be reduced, etc. and pull a veteran in for a new C&P, etc.

To Quote Berta, "VA can order a review of a disability any time they want."

"permanent 100% disability evaluation"

P&T = permanent and total. 100% is total.

'No further exams" is also usually stated somewhere in the award letter.

You should get various other related docs as well with or following the award letter, or by calling the VA and asking for them.

Life Insurance Application and CHAMPUS Application for spouse, dependents, etc.

are just two of the forms. CHAMPUS benefits can be available back to the EDD date. If there were significant medical expenses in this period, or

other medical insurance is too expensive, you should look into it. If the government screws around with Medicare too much, it might be of benefit.

Form for applying for Base ID to access Commissary, Exchange, and MWR(commander's discretion at some bases)

Note: DOD is in the process of changing the ID cards (Again) a particular base may still be issuing DD Form 2765 IDs, or a newer ID Card Form.

The back of the 2765 ID has a "standard" bar code and a complex digital code section, as well as the usual dates personal statistics, etc.

The newest card has another encoding scheme as well. The application form provided by the VA is obsolete, but contains the needed information anyway.

That information along with a picture they take is transferred to a system that is used to generate the ID card.

Once the ID card is issued, you have the option (take it) of registering in "DEERS"

Most bases are doing away with the vehicle stickers, etc. With the ID card, a "visitor's pass" is not needed.

Generally, you take the stack of paper the VA provided, your driver's license, another valid picture ID to the base visitor control center.

They provide a temporary visitor's pass, and directions to the unit that issues the ID card.

They are sort of "ticky" concerning documents proving that you are married, etc. to obtain your spouse's ID

(Since we did not have a "certified raised seal" copy, I had to use state department records to show that we were married, etc.)

It is kind of ironic that the original marriage was an "interdenominational" marriage, per "Canon law" ( https://secure.wikim.../wiki/Canon_law )

(A form of marriage recognized by at least all western nations, and a long story behind that one!)

Chuck,

You did an awesome job of explaining everything! Thanks!

Besides all of what Chuck has listed, don't forget to check your state benefits. Many states offer hunting and fishing licenses, property tax breaks, etc.

Edited by chr49