Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally!

Rate this question

usnhmret

Question

I haven't said too much on here, but I have read a lot and gained a lot of knowledge, so I figure I should share my experience just in case it could help someone else.

I finally received my big envelope today. I knew to expect it because of the info I found on here. I found out about eBenefits here and had signed up about a month ago and was monitoring my status there pretty much everyday lately. I retired 6 years ago and first filed my claim in Buffalo, NY. I had a lot of help through the Amvet office. I eventually received a 90%(94%) rating about 9 months from my initial claim. There were some things that were denied that had pages of documentation, but for whatever reason were denied. My rep and I agreed at the time that 90% was good.

I'd always heard that 10 years after retiring your body will go to crap, well my didn't wait that long. I was putting in for an increase this past November/December. With my wife's work, she had a conversation with an older gentleman associated with NY State Division of Veteran's Affairs. He told her that they had a good track record and had helped him with his increase. So I decided to give them a shot. The guy who I spoke with has since moved but I'm sure they all would be helpful.

Like I said, I've been using eBenefits now for a month. That site really helps the compulsive people like me. Until that point I really felt like my claim was never going to get anywhere, but really, we are waiting on the government. When I stopped by the NY State Veteran's Affairs office, the secretary told me the average turnaround was 6-12 months. She also said something about Vietnam vet claims were moved to the front, so things could be delayed. eBenefits was a new lifeline. At least there was an actual status to see. When I first logged on to the site I was already in the "2-Decision" phase, so I'm not sure how long it was there, but I can't tell you how great it was to see it switched to the "3-Notification" phase. That was for only 1 day though. Here is something else I picked up from this forum, use the letter generator on eBenefits to find the results. But let me add this, don't take the results too soon. I did the first night that I was in notification status and I was still 90%. The next day I logged on and my status was switched to closed! I was really confused since I hadn't received anything yet, so I tried the letter generator again and there it was, 100%! I know this sounds paranoid, but even still I wasn't convinced. When I went the next day to the VA Dental clinic to get my status updated I was half waiting them to tell me that it was an error. Well, 3 days later my envelope arrived.

One more thing, I want to give a plug for the Buffalo VAMC. I was a corpsman for 20 years and I can tell you, I get better care at this VA than I did at ANY military hospital I ever worked at or was treated. I know not all VA medical centers are the same and get a bad rap, but this one, in my case in particular has been spectacular.

Thanks for all the info and support. I know most vets out there have real reasons to be pissed at the system we deal with, I can only hope they get treated the way they deserve. Good luck and God Bless.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question