Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pension Denied A And A

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

My father in law, who is age 86 and has cancer (WW2 Vet) is seeking Aid and Attendance. He is very sick, undergoing chemo, and needs it. His income is about 2k per month BUT he spends about $ 1600 of that on chemo, doc visits, prescriptions, etc. (Im helping FIL get benefits...he is way too sick to do this on his own)

Naturally, he got denied. (based on too much income) The only good part is that he got denied about a month after he applied. The BONE HEAD VSO (I should have known better than to use a VSO) said, "We dont need your medical expenses".

I knew better, but thought maybe he knew something I did not. So, I let him file. Minus the medical expenses FIL's income is about $400 per month!!!

I am asking for a reconsideration, (N and M evidence) and this time I submitted about $1600 medical expenses for the most recent month. (His cancer diagnosis was recent and he was in fairly good health back in April or so).

I also submitted a filled out form for A and A from his chemo doc, who basically says he needs a and A.

I did the reconsideration as opposed to a NOD because:

He is unlikely to survive 4.4 years for a BVA appeal. I dont even know if he can survive long enough for a DRO review. But, I asked the RO for SPECIAL CONSIDERATION BECAUSE OF HIS ADVANCED AGE AND CANCER.

Did I miss anything, and your opinions are appreciated.

Edited by broncovet

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have said before and will say again that Hadit should certify Service Officers but I know that is asking to much of Tbird.

Maybe Members could nominate good service officers and Hadit could sticky a thread with names and locations.

i had one (DAV) in orlando for years. don't know if she is still a DAV NSO but her name is lisa duncan and if i could find out where she is, i would still contact her.