VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is Meant By "claim At Secondary Rating Board"?

Rate this question

eagle-eye

Question

I was awarded 70% SC in April of 2009 (50 for depression-30 for migraines). I filed a claim for Individual Unemployability (IU) in Oct 2009(still pending). In Nov 2010 I was awarded another 40% for Chronic Fatigue and 10% for hypertension. This bumped me up to 80% total. I did not add these two additional conditions to my IU claim mostly because I felt confident that my treatment for depression and my chronic headaches were enough to award me IU because of all the medical documentation and what was written in the C&P's. By the way, the C&Ps for my IU claim were done back in May 2010.

Anyway, in June my IU claim went from the "development" stage to the "rating" stage. BUT in July it went back to the development stage...crap. Now, a DAV rep looked on the computer (I saw it too) and it says my claim is in "Secondary Rating"!!?? Well, the DAV (bless his heart) could not tell me what that meant, so that's my question. Anyone ever heard of this? Thank you.

You know you have grown old when you hear your favorite song in an elevator.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I was awarded 70% SC in April of 2009 (50 for depression-30 for migraines). I filed a claim for Individual Unemployability (IU) in Oct 2009(still pending). In Nov 2010 I was awarded another 40% for Chronic Fatigue and 10% for hypertension. This bumped me up to 80% total. I did not add these two additional conditions to my IU claim mostly because I felt confident that my treatment for depression and my chronic headaches were enough to award me IU because of all the medical documentation and what was written in the C&P's. By the way, the C&Ps for my IU claim were done back in May 2010.

Anyway, in June my IU claim went from the "development" stage to the "rating" stage. BUT in July it went back to the development stage...crap. Now, a DAV rep looked on the computer (I saw it too) and it says my claim is in "Secondary Rating"!!?? Well, the DAV (bless his heart) could not tell me what that meant, so that's my question. Anyone ever heard of this? Thank you.

I haven't heard of "Secondary Rating" unless it relates to a secondary disability that is the result

of the primary disability (and/or the treatment for it).

Maybe they are referring to authorization or notification.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

JMO, I wonder if there was a possibility that the reason it went back is when it reached the raters they noticed the difference in your % and decided to throw it back to development stage to figure it out before they rate it. So, I'm thinking what they mean by secondary rating is it's just a fancy word meaning Their just going to take another look at it. Again, just a wild guess.

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Sounds like what Cooter said. I think I might write my local newspaper and tell them you lost your home while waiting for a VA rating.

Sounds like what Cooter said. I think I might write my local newspaper and tell them you lost your home while waiting for a VA rating.

John, I had considered that. Especially when I saw a copy of an e-mail in my C-file that was accidently included. It was a message between two raters wondering why they were "stuck with rating me again". It also stated something about it was apparent that my previous claims were "not perfect". (what does that mean..was I rated too high or too low.?) Losing our house was the icing on the cake. We sold everything but essentials trying to squeek by but my husband was without employment for 3 months and we just could never catch up. I'm trying to prepare myself for no increase, but I'm not.

I'm so grateful for this site. Just writing about all this helps me. Thanks.

You know you have grown old when you hear your favorite song in an elevator.

• HadIt.com Elder

When the VA says your claim is not "perfect" I think they mean all stages and steps have not been met or taken. Your claim has to be perfected before it goes to BVA for instance.