• donate-be-a-hero.png

An Important Story At Vawatchdogtoday

Rate this question

Berta

Question

"Test Results in Veterans Medical Facilities " by Jim Strickland

http://www.vawatchdogtoday.org/

In Part:

“I'm fortunate to have frequent communications with Rich Cohen, Executive Director of NOVA. The National Organization of Veterans Advocates is a premier entity that serves to educate and inform attorneys and agents who represent veterans. I'm not an attorney and I don't have any legal background and the opportunity for me to vent frustrations as well as ask my questions about all things legal is invaluable to my efforts.

Rich offered this to me recently; "Jim...VHA can't get it right". He attached the report from the VA-OIG, "Management of Test Results in Veterans Health Administration Facilities". Rich points out that, "The report documents the failure of VHA to notify patients of test results and shows that in 48% of observed institutions (10/21); 'Policies did not describe a process for monitoring the effectiveness of communicating critical results to patients.'"

In simpler terms, doctors at almost half of VA medical facilities studied didn't have a good policy telling them when and how to inform patients of test results.”

I emailed Jim that he must have ESP because yesterday I got a VACO response (nothing to do with my claims) regarding an accountabilty matter I have been pursuing for many years and might finally be coming to a head.

It involves a comment I made at the Federal Register and the NPDB mandate.

And the article he posted reflects the points my comment contained. (I think they took it off the Fed Reg site)

A veteran could easily assume that if the VA doesn't contact them about a test result-everything was OK.

But the reality is a test result could be critical and need immediate attention.

I get test results in the mail from my doc sometimes but usually it is the first thing she addresses when I have next appointment.I don't know why the VA is lacking in this important area of patient communication.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have to have test done befor emy appointmnets because I am monitored every 3 months for my pancreas disease and liver complications,, after a few years of this, this time they had no blood test scheduled for my next appointment, and when I would get there they would have no blood test results to adfjust my meds or send me back to liver clinic.. I tried telling everyone for 3 weeksm I need the test one week befor emy appointment, or else they would have to have them drwnt he same day and send me back a week later... no one listen,, I tried everything to get the labs, everyone just refused to help... I called everyone,, I even went to the clinic, while ther eon other business...

finally someone called me yesterday, Friday, just before 4 pm, after the lab closed at 3:30 and told me they ordered the tests... too late,, now I go monday morning to have the tests 2 hours before the appointment...

the 3 weeks of trying to get the problem corrected got me nowhere... I do appreciate the case nurse finally called, but it was too late...

it's like beating your head against the wall, the wall wins..

• HadIt.com Elder

Retiredat44,

Try giving the Patient Advocate a call to help you get this set up. Not saying it will change anything, but it might be worth a try if these people arn't capable of getting their act together. After that, file a complaint at the VA internet site if they still can't do it. Sometimes you just have to get enough heat under their butt to get it done.

I have to have test done befor emy appointmnets because I am monitored every 3 months for my pancreas disease and liver complications,, after a few years of this, this time they had no blood test scheduled for my next appointment, and when I would get there they would have no blood test results to adfjust my meds or send me back to liver clinic.. I tried telling everyone for 3 weeksm I need the test one week befor emy appointment, or else they would have to have them drwnt he same day and send me back a week later... no one listen,, I tried everything to get the labs, everyone just refused to help... I called everyone,, I even went to the clinic, while ther eon other business...

finally someone called me yesterday, Friday, just before 4 pm, after the lab closed at 3:30 and told me they ordered the tests... too late,, now I go monday morning to have the tests 2 hours before the appointment...

the 3 weeks of trying to get the problem corrected got me nowhere... I do appreciate the case nurse finally called, but it was too late...

it's like beating your head against the wall, the wall wins..

If they fail to schedule your lab appointment far enough in advance of your liver clinic appointment, just call the liver clinic and tell them you are cancelling their appointment until the labs are completed prior to the liver appointment. That should get them on the ball.