Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro Was Deposited

Rate this topic

eagle-eye

congrats eagle...on orthodontics shop around if you can. maybe call the closest military hospital and ask them if they can refer a local orthodontist retired military type who has a civilian practice. call that guy and explain your a vet with small money and does he offer vet discounts?..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats eagle...on orthodontics shop around if you can. maybe call the closest military hospital and ask them if they can refer a local orthodontist retired military type who has a civilian practice. call that guy and explain your a vet with small money and does he offer vet discounts?..

Thanks TANK..I'm going to do that since I live right outside Lackland AFB. I imagine since there's a large Vet population here that I'll find a kind hearted Orthodontist.

Eagle Eye;

I've got family in the Saan Antonio and I go down to visit at Christmas. I know that's on the other side of town but you might want to also check Fort Sam, another ides is UTSA, I I think they have a medical school you might want to check and see if they have a dental school.

Take care,

Rick

i

Thanks TANK..I'm going to do that since I live right outside Lackland AFB. I imagine since there's a large Vet population here that I'll find a kind hearted Orthodontist.

Can you break down the timeline again?

Date Notified

Date of Retro

I won't go into a lot of details (unless someone replies w/specific questions) since I've told my story numerous times on here in different forums. I did want to say though that it took two weeks exactly from the day the decision was made at the rating stage for money to show in my account. My retro apparently required two signatures so it took a few days longer to deposit.

My family has struggled financially since I haven't worked full-time since 2006. We were always a two-income family. So, I can say we will be very careful how we use this lump sum. So far, my young son is thrilled that we have an appointment w/a orthodontist for braces. He's only 10 and already self concious about his teeth. I'm happy we're able to do this for him. My parents did it for me when I was young.

Funny story: when I first started my job in the Air Force I wasn't acclimated to the San Antonio heat and not drinking nearly enough water. Well, I worked outside on a shooting range and passed out and hit the concrete firing line platform without even putting my hands out to break my fall. I was fine after a few IV's, just embarrased and learned a big lesson. When I called home and told my dad about this the first thing he said was "God, i hope you didn't knock any teeth out, i invested a lot in those".

I've said it before but I am truly grateful for this site and the people here. You have kept me sane and my anxiety in check while waiting the outcome of my claim. I've missed the friendships I had while I was active duty and being on here has filled that gap in my life.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use