Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Web Site To Generate Letter To Your Congressman/woman

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I was looking online for info about CHAMPVA and the proposal to extend it to children up to age 26. I came across this website, popvox.com. Here's the link I found:

https://www.popvox.c...ls/us/112/hr115

It outlines the bill that's before congress and allows you to either support or oppose it, and then sends a letter to your congressman with your comments. You have to give them your name & address & phone, because they need to know which congress person to send it to, and their office requires your phone number. I was really hesitant about that, so I did some research online. They look legit to me, and more so, like maybe some congress people are paying attention to the support/oppose numbers that are easy to find for each bill.

I supported the bill to extend CHAMPVA, to retro C&P money back to a year before the date the claim was filed, and a few other things that are important to me in my corner of the land.

I hope I'm not wasting my time with it, because there were several bills pertaining to veterans and/or military.

If someone sees something not right about it, please, please, let me know! If it passes the sniff test, maybe this would be a good way to let our congress folk know what we want. I've tried for years to write or call my congressman, but never been able to pick up the phone or send the letter. This is quick and easy, and while not anonymous to the congress person or their staff, well, they know where we live anyway if we're registered voters.

My virus software made nary a peep, and the person who runs the site seems to taken seriously....

Hope I'm helping with this information, and sorry if it's a glop of hooey.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

It is a an interesting site, I'll be looking it over more, but for now it looks good to me.

I was looking online for info about CHAMPVA and the proposal to extend it to children up to age 26. I came across this website, popvox.com. Here's the link I found:

https://www.popvox.c...ls/us/112/hr115

It outlines the bill that's before congress and allows you to either support or oppose it, and then sends a letter to your congressman with your comments. You have to give them your name & address & phone, because they need to know which congress person to send it to, and their office requires your phone number. I was really hesitant about that, so I did some research online. They look legit to me, and more so, like maybe some congress people are paying attention to the support/oppose numbers that are easy to find for each bill.

I supported the bill to extend CHAMPVA, to retro C&P money back to a year before the date the claim was filed, and a few other things that are important to me in my corner of the land.

I hope I'm not wasting my time with it, because there were several bills pertaining to veterans and/or military.

If someone sees something not right about it, please, please, let me know! If it passes the sniff test, maybe this would be a good way to let our congress folk know what we want. I've tried for years to write or call my congressman, but never been able to pick up the phone or send the letter. This is quick and easy, and while not anonymous to the congress person or their staff, well, they know where we live anyway if we're registered voters.

My virus software made nary a peep, and the person who runs the site seems to taken seriously....

Hope I'm helping with this information, and sorry if it's a glop of hooey.

site works pretty well. I sent my 2 cents in for the following bills also. hr-333,hr-186,hr-178. These all concern vets or their spouses. Just type in the bill # in the search window.

I'm glad to know this site is a good one. I found other bills concerning benefits by typing Veterans in the search box. I also found this page with an index of areas of interest. The page says it's a directory of organization.

https://www.popvox.com/orgs

Under VETERANS I clicked on Disabled American Vets, not for any special reason, just did. It brought up a list of all the bills they're supporting or opposing.

But it's not just Veterans stuff, it's bills that impact everything. My daughter is a teacher so I clicked on EDUCATION, then when the list of organizations came up, I clicked on American Federation of Teachers. There were a bunch of bills there that matter to my daughter, so I sent her the information.

I figure, in our household alone we have 3 voters, sometimes 4. So maybe that's not many, but if we spread the word about this website, maybe we can at least feel like we told our congressional representatives what we thought. I'll never write a letter on my own, and NEVER call the senators or the congressman for my district. But I will sit up one night and happily click on a lot of links, and write a sentence or two about why whatever it is the bill is about matters to me, is great or stinks.

I'm also taking the website address to my therapist tomorrow. He's a vet (and knows a LOT of them :) ) so he can spread the word a to quite a few people, including all his co-workers who would love to see the VA get more money or programs... good for them and good for us.

I've always wondered why congress seemed to be like a bunch of directionless twits, following their own interests. Maybe that's what they'll always be. But now at least I'm going to feel like I've spoken up, which really is so hard for me to do....

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If you do not wish to use your real phone number, you could always provide the number to the nearest pay phone. After all the letters I sent to my Congressman, they always have contacted me by letter - never by phone. Well, so far...

I just use my caller ID and only answer if I know the number or if I think it's the VA.

Geez, I spent an hour looking for bills on important-to-me issues. I think I finally found a hobby!

Just bumping this and wanted to let you know that I have received auto-responder emails from my congressman, plus an actual paper letter from both of my senators thanking me for offering my opinion.

I know it doesn't necessarily mean they give a pooh, but at least I know that my popvox message got to their inbox.

I have told everyone I talk to (sadly not many, but still they tell some others, etc.), maybe with enough vets writing in, getting their opinions at least thrown into the "FOR" or "AGAINST" pile, we can make a difference?