Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Primary Or Secondary Rating

Rate this question

shawn30

Question

What is the difference between Primary and Secondary Ratings?

If I have other medical issues that arise from a Primary, do I claim them as Secondary? Or do I claim them as another Primary?

thanks...

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Secondary conditions arise from service connected conditions. They do not have to have direct connection to your military service.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Do I file my claim as the secondary condition by itself? Or do I file the claim as secondary to my primary? For example, I have chronic kidney stones; which causes bladder dysfunction.

Would I write it as "I would like to file a claim for compensation due to bladder dysfunction." or "I would like to file a claim for compensation due to bladder dysfunction secondary to kidney stones." ? thanks...

This is what I have right now:

Chronic Kidney Stones-30%, Loss of Testicle with loss of function of the other-30%, Tinnitus-10%, and SMC for loss creative organ. 60% total.

0% - Chronic Epididymitis - orchitis

0% - Inguinal / ilio-inguinal nerve damage

0% - Inguinal Scarring

0% - Scrotum Scarring

Originally I was not rated for the 4 claims I currently have at 0%.

I filed for secondary for my 0% claims but they were denied due to the VA stating that they were already covered under the primary. Then the VA replied later stating that I was service connected for them and it was a clear and unmistakable error. They then sent me a letter showing the 4 items rated at 0%.

However, by reading through the Board of Appeals and looking for others with my same exact conditions; I found several appeals that were granted and rated at higher than 0%.

I sent additional medical records and letters from my private doctor along with the referenced docket numbers from the appeals that I found and asked them to re-consider my claims.

I haven't heard anything from the VA since I filed that claim in December 2010.