Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nehmer Claims Pending

Rate this question

Berta

Question

VA has stepped up their efforts to get these claims done.

They seem to be taking them in the order they received them.

My claim was filed in August of 2010 and it has had a lot of movement throughout October and is with a supervisor for a final decision-which could come sooner than I think.

One main thing that has held up these claims is the fact that many AO vets have died over the years and yet they were put on the Nehmer list due to a denied claim in a past rating decision that could be construed now as a potential AO Nehmer claim and VA has had problems finding their beneficiarys.

I mentioned before that under Nehmer-the retro MUST be paid to the next of kin in line of succession.

In some cases the spouse, and possibly even adult children are dead or still alive but VA cannot find them.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Why am I not surprised at this little bobble?

Within the VA, the three major sections, (VARO,VAMC, and veterans GI bill training, loans, and ancillary benefits) have a tradition of not keeping up with veteran's addresses, or each others address lists.

Not too infrequently, an obsolete or incorrect address seems to creep into the works. Given the time limits for the post office to forward mail, and the VA's snail pace,

I'd bet that the VA sends letter notifications out well after the forwarding time limit has expired. It's also interest to note that web based address searches are often successful, if

done properly. Usually, a death certificate lists next of kin as a start.

(I will freely admit that "free" web searches are getting harder to do, since the major search engines seem to automatically favor "you pay for" search engines with increasing frequency.)

VA has stepped up their efforts to get these claims done.

They seem to be taking them in the order they received them.

My claim was filed in August of 2010 and it has had a lot of movement throughout October and is with a supervisor for a final decision-which could come sooner than I think.

One main thing that has held up these claims is the fact that many AO vets have died over the years and yet they were put on the Nehmer list due to a denied claim in a past rating decision that could be construed now as a potential AO Nehmer claim and VA has had problems finding their beneficiarys.

I mentioned before that under Nehmer-the retro MUST be paid to the next of kin in line of succession.

In some cases the spouse, and possibly even adult children are dead or still alive but VA cannot find them.

Hello!

New to the site and just happened upon this post and the part about finding next of kin and sending out notification after the forwarding time limit caught my eye. They actually called one of my aunts to try to get in contact with me and when I received my notification they have the right address but wrong name (I have been married), so my question is what is the forwarding time limit on this or is it different for different situations??

Thank You

i recevied a letter from NVLSP about my agent orande claim the answer to those question's were all yes my c file #

XXXXXX (cfile # edited out by Admin.) the va treated me for ischemic heart disease from 1990 to 1998 all they did was give me naican an crestor i felt that they were letting me die so when to out of the system for help they tell me that all the report's were only exceptable back for one year this is wrong for them to do i have paid out alot of money because i did'nt trust what they were doing if you can help me please let me now im still have heart problem's to this day left side of heart is blocked my curcomflex is the only thing keeping alive.

i recevied a letter from NVLSP about my agent orande claim the answer to those question's were all yes my c file #

XXXXXX (cfile # edited out by Admin.) the va treated me for ischemic heart disease from 1990 to 1998 all they did was give me naican an crestor i felt that they were letting me die so when to out of the system for help they tell me that all the report's were only exceptable back for one year this is wrong for them to do i have paid out alot of money because i did'nt trust what they were doing if you can help me please let me now im still have heart problem's to this day left side of heart is blocked my curcomflex is the only thing keeping alive.

stephen,

Please do not post personal info like cfile # - real name - real address, phone # etc...

It would be best for you to start a new topic with your info and questions.

• HadIt.com Elder

The situation is that you have a documented history of IHD. The VA requires current evidence of the severity of IHD, or most other conditions in order to rate.

The next problem has to do with progression from then to now, and what period may be subject to retro pay, and at what level.

Hopefully, the existing records can show some sort of either progression, or a stable condition.

My experience with this was that I had open heart surgery a couple of decades ago, showing that there was a serious condition present.

Since I used the same cardiologist and other doctors then and now, the continuity of medical records was better than usual.

I did have a problem with the local hospital, in that they stored old records off site, then "lost them". Fortunately, regional hospitals

in Atlanta and middle Georgia managed to find most of the older records.

In the last decade, an additional heart attack, and several stints, along with the usual medical tests and evaluations showed that

there was damage, and the extent of it.

Still, the VA denied all but one of the claims, until the Nehmer Review came along, and reversed the majority of the denials.

Edited by Chuck75