Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Scar From Ao Surgery

Rate this question

rufus1

Question

If I apply for disability due to pain from the foot long scar from AO surgery on my lower stomach area will I have to go to another C&P exam or will they just take it from my medical records where they can see the staples and will they grant it to me since the surgery is already documented? I also have a service connected scar on my chin from where I fell off an F-4J Fighter aircraft that I usually cut open when I shave due to the raised portion of it. Should I also file it in the claim. Thank you for your assistance.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you take VA prescribed NSAIDS for any SC condition, they could be the cause or contributing factor to the GERD.

There has been discussion here on that:

"Yes most people think I got low balled but I do not have anything else to present."

" I have been placed on two medications since my C&P for PTSD. I do work a full time job."

If those 2 meds are for PTSD and were prescribed 'since' the C & P and not mentioned in the med recs the VA used for the 10% decision-

that is enough to re-open the PTSD claim with.In my opinion.

Also these meds might well have side affects that would interfere with your ability to work.

And although you are still employable, this too is a factor that VA should consider.

COPD claims are difficult ones. If the vet has a smoking history and any post service employment that would also factor into causing the COPD VA will deny without an independent ,medical opinion so strong that it can somehow overcome those factors.

Asbestos and fuel exposure claims can be difficult too.

But nothing is impossible.

In 1988 my husband (with 30 % for PTSD) began a part time job at the local VA and also Voc Rehab at Corning college.

The VA proposed to reduce him to 10% due to (at that point) his one semester of college and the VA job (which he only got due to a EEOC situation- and we got the personnel director canned because of it) which was far from "substantial" employment as he was a former Nuke.

They dropped that ludicrous reduction idea when they got the NOD I prepared for him.

But 3 years after his death the VA awarded him for 100% P& T SC PTSD with an EED 3 years after this proposed reduction.

My point is 10% was unacceptable and even the 30 % for 3 years up to the 100% EED really wasnt enough.His EED was the same as his SSDI EED -the last day he ever worked.

He had applied for a higher PTSD rating from the 30% and also had a Sec 1151 claim pending when he died so I had to pursue these claims until VA awarded them both.

If you feel you fall into a higher PTSD criteria

and it looks to me that if those meds came after the 10% decision- you might well fall into a higher rating criteria-

and there could be other factors as well to put you there,

you should definitely ask them for a higher rating.

My husband was not medicated for PTSD from his award in 1983 to early 1994- the same year he died.It took Congressional intervention as well as some real VA butt kicking on my part for him to get finally get proper PTSD meds and adequate therapy but about 7 months after VA began to really treat his PTSD , he died.The VA has never addressed that part of his PTSD claim or my FTCA case.

PTSD doesn't have a cure and it can get worse.

I worked at a vet center as volunteer in the PTSD Combat group.

I too consider 10% SC for PTSD to be completley absurd.

Also as a Marine, you need to watch here for the latest on the Camp LeJeune water contamination problems.I have no idea what those studies will involve and what residual disabilities Marines could have gotten from the water situation.

There has been discussion on that issue here as well- available under our search feature.

Edited by Berta

Thanks for all the input folks and I will head forward and all your insight is very helpful. I know very little about all the processes but am greatful there are folfs like you all that I can read and heed from in all the articles and research. I will go to see the VSO tomorrow and get the long process started - Being PTSD and stay isolated it will take me some doing to get into this. Yes ,as far as the water situation I am scheduled to get my medical survey shortly from the ASTRA or something like that who studies the effects of all those things on our health. I hope that there is not much more bad news to come down the pike as far as things I have been exposed to and the government to deny and then turn us down for attention we need for our medical problems. I will always be a Proud Marine and Proud to have served my Country!!!!

I get 20% for residuals of AO Prostate Cancer & SMC "K" plus more for PTSD, IHD & SMC "S" award. Is that what you are talking about 40% residuals & a "K" award? No mater what, 10% for PTSD is an insult for a veteran from any war. I would look to increase the PTSD & don't know if there is a lot to gain for the scar but your call.

Good Luck,

Don

Sorry if I made you think different but YES the 40% is a total of everything associated with my cancer. I do not know how it is broken down but it sexual dysfunction , urinary leakage ect. etc. and the cancer itself. Thanks for your comments.

• HadIt.com Elder

Think what u have is 40% risduals of Prostate Cancer & SMC "K" Award for ED (sexual dysfunction). That sounds right to me. Good luck with your claim.

Sorry if I made you think different but YES the 40% is a total of everything associated with my cancer. I do not know how it is broken down but it sexual dysfunction , urinary leakage ect. etc. and the cancer itself. Thanks for your comments.

Yes you are right because I am cancer free and receive nothing for that. Good point!