Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Heart Disease

Rate this question

goofycow

Question

Hi:

How does the VA rate heart disease for disability purposes? I have high blood pressure, top number constantly in the 150-160 range while on BP medication, bottom number normal. Calcified plaque also showed up in a major artery in abdomen while they were doing x-rays of lower back. Is there anywhere I can go to find out how VA rates these conditions? I am also rated 70% for major depressive disorder.

Thanks

Liz

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Guest jangrin

It is really a shame that we live in the United States of America, and there are people who live here that do NOT have health care and can not afford 1500.00 a month or more for a family of 3 for major medical. It is sad that we have to choose our health over our homes. My husband has made the decision to work within the VA system, because that allows him to keep a roof (even temporaily) over his families head rather than give everything he's worked for all his live to pay for medical bills.

He has always worked and now that he cannot, he is faced with loosing his house and home and family security in order to recieve care. He would rather die than risk his family living on the streets. So I am doing what I can to help him work through the VA maze to get his due compensation and his SSD and maybe just maybe he will be able to see his grandchildren grow up. But things are moving really slow.

Thank God for people like BERTA and T-BIRD, JOHn999, CARLI, and ALL the others here at Hadit, because when people finally find you all and come here and post thier question, this may be the last resort. And to be honest when I first posted here and Berta replied, it changed our lives and our fututre. You never know when you might be giving someone hope. So we may disagree at times, but we all want the best results for each other. So thanks to all of you for your help.

Jangrin :(

Jangrin:

Yes, it is sad that health care takes such a bite from a persons assets. I am also eligible for TRI-CARE, but where I live very few doctors/hospitals honor that insurance. Then there's VA. I have had trouble getting care for my major depression & other ailments since I moved back to Arkansas. However, I do get great care at the VA eye clinic in Fayetteville.

You asked me in another post if VA had ever checked me for diabetes. If i am to believe the lab tebs, all my blood sugar, glucose are well within normal limits. Although it is a wonder I don't have type II diabetes. I am grossly obese!

However, like most, I don't get that great of care at VA mental health. In fact dealing with those people has made me even more depressed!! I am certainly more paranoid than ever.

Liz