VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo-Psychologist Or Psychiatrist

Rate this question

scscrewed

Question

Which is better for mental health IMO? I may never file for P and T, but I am going to start lining the ducks up, and, as such, I would like an IMO to make an accurate diagnosis of my service connected mental disorder, instead of the blanket adjustment disorder with depressed mood that has been placed upon me.

And, does anyone know of a good one in Southern Ohio? That doesn't cost a fortune.

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

Why are VA raters encouraged to diagnose adjustment disorder instead of PTSD? Adjustment disorder seems to me to suggest that the disorder is temporary while PTSD is more permanent and more serious.JohnYou wrote the above a few years ago.

This is why I want to get it changed if it comes up, because I don't think my diagnosis is correct. The civilian doc says I have PTSD from the fall about died on it and things and keep having nightmares and crap. But, I also have the dysthmyia and major depression which are secondary to being paralyzed. I am not worried about anything, and I will leave everything alon until I need to file for stuff, but adjustment disorder just seems mild and transient and this isn't.

Edited by scscrewed
  • HadIt.com Elder

Your rating is for Chronic Adjustment disorder. Chronic means permanent in my mind. I think you will be OK with that DX. I would not try and work if I were you and never mention that word to your VA doctors. My VA DX has changed many times and includes MDD, Schizophrenia, PTSD, Panic Disorder and a few others. It is really your symptoms that matter, and you have major symtoms plus your physical disabilites. Keep posting. I think Wings may be right about not messing with success too much. I know it is awful to be disabled at a young age. Take some classes on your own and don't tell the VA. Are you able to get around on your own at all? You should try the quality of life program since it was made for guys like you.

I would not try and work if I were you and never mention that word to your VA doctors.

The word Adjustment Disorder? It's emblazoned atop every one of my medical forms, because I am rated for it. At the top of the form it says Chronic Adjustment Disorder 50 percent. So, there's not much hiding it.

I am not going to tell the VA about the classes. I am going to try and take some online ones this spring. The problem is you can't control major depressive episodes. They're rare. I just came out of one. I am now medicated, so maybe I am good. Let's hope.

I am not going to try and work. I am on quasi-parole --which in Ohio means I served all my time, my entire sentence, but I am still on paper and under the adult parole authority, because I am 100 percent sc, they waived all supervision fees, all drug tests, all visits, and all work requirements, I just have to call them once a week and leave a message.

I don't know what the quality of life program is.

I am in cognitive behavioral therapy, physical therapy, and they just stuck me in occupational therapy.

However, because of the last attempt they want me doing two closed group therapies a week and they are trying to get me into some PTSD program even though I am not Dx for it.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use