VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iris Vs Truth... Another Adventure With The Va

Rate this question

midnight340

Question

Update on my initial PTSD/+other conditions claim at just short of one year at VARO:

I knew this would be slow, especially after finding the hadit site, so have been trying to be patient. Claim went in Feb 2011, finally got C&P first of November. Claim went to rating board November 17. I sent copies of bankruptcy and foreclosure along with my request to expedite due to hardship.

After a month or so, I began sending IRIS requests to my VARO (Wichita, KS) for updates. Each response (which seemed to respond directly to my questions) told me clearly that my claim had been "flagged to expedite due to hardship." That would be at least four IRIS responses.

After 2 1/2 months my PCT group therapist put me in touch with a very good American Legion service officer. He gave me the number of a American Legion representative at my VARO and she went to check on my file. She called me back, saying that the VA people were very sorry, but my file had never been "properly flagged" for the hardship.

So she took it to a supervisor and told me I should know something in "2-3 weeks." That it should be started on by tomorrow at the latest. I will call back on Monday to double check that it really is being worked on.

My claim was started for me through the Kansas Commission on Veteran's Affairs, then I took over when I got here.

My deep thanks to a couple of very good American Legion folks!!!!!!!

Edited by midnight340

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hang in there. Its a long road for all of us.

I've put in IRIS messages straight to my VARO and I get the typical government bs response. However, I do think that making contact and letting them know about your hardship helps. I've been screaming hardship for months but only get government-speak responses but when I talk to a real person at the VARO they are, at least, sympathetic and promise to look at my situation.

In the end, they want proof of your hardship. Mail or fax everything you can from eviction notices to past due bills and shut-off notices for utilities. Anything you can give them to lean on as evidence will help. Otherwise you'll get the "in fairness to other veteran's, your claim will be examined in its turn" message.

Keep leaning on your VSO too. They have a lot of coals in the fire and the more noise you make, the more attention you'll get. Even if they are just trying to get you to shut up and go away, the only way they can do that is getting on the horn with your VARO and pushing the issue.

In the end, patience is a virtue. So is retro pay!

Good luck!

Pete

Received an IRIS email this afternoon stating that a decision had been made today on my claim, and it was moved to notification. Now I wait for the mail, or deposit hopefully.

Hang in there : - )

" Hey there whats that sound, theres something going on! Theres a man from VA holding My File over there, telling me, I need not fear!" Well usually strange things happen on mondays in Life! Except in VA World, where a bad day with the VA is a GOOD day for the Veteran! I will attach the email I got from IRIS today. My MH files that were in NPRC, then lost, are being requested again from Korea.They are finally acknowledgeing possible AO contact and are requesting records again from Korea as well as maybe ordering a AO physical. I guess the little tidbits I sent them last June opened their eyes to the possibilities.I'm still looking probably at a Feb 2013 hearing date, but at least the are confirming things and I am feeling a little more positive energy from them.I have IME scheduled in October that should also help my claims. After 2 years of frustration, I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I sure hope it's not a mirage.Something is happening in VAville and maybe it's good things for us all. I don't know if it has anything to do with the Class Action I recently joined, but I'm going to push the envelope some and see if I can get a earlier date on my Section 1151 claim.MikeIRIS2.pdf