Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iris Vs Truth... Another Adventure With The Va

Rate this question

midnight340

Question

Update on my initial PTSD/+other conditions claim at just short of one year at VARO:

I knew this would be slow, especially after finding the hadit site, so have been trying to be patient. Claim went in Feb 2011, finally got C&P first of November. Claim went to rating board November 17. I sent copies of bankruptcy and foreclosure along with my request to expedite due to hardship.

After a month or so, I began sending IRIS requests to my VARO (Wichita, KS) for updates. Each response (which seemed to respond directly to my questions) told me clearly that my claim had been "flagged to expedite due to hardship." That would be at least four IRIS responses.

After 2 1/2 months my PCT group therapist put me in touch with a very good American Legion service officer. He gave me the number of a American Legion representative at my VARO and she went to check on my file. She called me back, saying that the VA people were very sorry, but my file had never been "properly flagged" for the hardship.

So she took it to a supervisor and told me I should know something in "2-3 weeks." That it should be started on by tomorrow at the latest. I will call back on Monday to double check that it really is being worked on.

My claim was started for me through the Kansas Commission on Veteran's Affairs, then I took over when I got here.

My deep thanks to a couple of very good American Legion folks!!!!!!!

Edited by midnight340

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would not hold out much hope for medical records from Camp Casey there is no hospital there, 121 is in Seoul and I don't think they will maintain records going back 40 years,

were you on the DMZ before 1972? I think to get presumptive status for Korea you had to be on the DMZ in July 1971 or prior for AO

I would not hold out much hope for medical records from Camp Casey there is no hospital there, 121 is in Seoul and I don't think they will maintain records going back 40 years,

were you on the DMZ before 1972? I think to get presumptive status for Korea you had to be on the DMZ in July 1971 or prior for AO

I was out in the field 32 days after Aug 31,1971 date.But I sprayed a herbicide upand down roads and fenceline for the changeing of command in June of 1972. I have a Buddy Statement from someone in my BN but not my platoon that remembers us spraying it.

My discharge exam showed MH records from jan 72-sept 72 at Mental Health clinic at Camp Casey.NPRC had them, wanted a fax number of my Primary to send them to, then VA stopped them from sending them,and then there was none.I have saved all my correspondences. Of all my disabilities that one scares them the most. Bad SPN number on DD214 without any hearings, Court Martials or any notifications after the fact.They denied me treatment about 1 month after getting out. My Employer kinda screwed that one for me. Said I missed enough time for the Army and wouldn't let me off for exam.Pension would have been about $30 then. Not enough to lose job over. At Least they are acknowledgeing alot in the email. Mike

Basser has that right!

While the VA is like the IRS in that if you call the IRS and ask an employee, "Is ........ deductable?" and you deduct it, the IRS can come back and say, "This IRS agent was wrong and you have to pay the tax and the penalty".

The VA can/does do likewise.

Still, you can use IRIS emails as evidence, especially in support of an appeal.

The VA does this to us, constantly. Here is an example.

You go to a doc in 1994, and seek treatment for depression. He asks you when your depression started. You dont remember for sure, but guess Feb. 1986. In 2010, at a C and P, the doc asks you again when your depression started. You had since remembered that you were depressed at a 4th of July picnic. So you tell them the 4 th of July, 1986.

The VA then denies you, that your statements are not competent or consistent. Its a trap.

Even if you were to recount details of an event, say a wedding

1. Right after the wedding and

2. 20 years later

You would likely not recount the same details of the wedding. You may well exclude some details you forgot, but had them right just after the wedding or found out later that you had it wrong in the beginning. You could even have something wrong such as when you and your wife first met. Maybe you thought it was May 1, but she knew who you were back in February, as she met you at a picnic that you did not recall. After she mentions it, tho, you go, "Was that you? I bet you are right..We did meet in Febraury" Stuff likes that happens all the time and does not mean anyone is lying. It is really unfair to expect us to remember a bunch of details for many years.

The only good thing about an IRIS inquiry is that your answer is in writing and you can hit the print button.

Basser

My joy with IRIS was short lived yesterday. They attached a bug to their email. After I print a copy for records, I usually put it in a folder just in case. Their bug deceided to send a weird email to every person, place and thing that was in that folder.(about 10 of them).When I started getting back just as weird emails from those it sent emails to, I quickly removed and destroyed their email. So I guess I will have to just save paper copies till this whole drama thing is over.

Checking in I just realized this is an old thread that I started way back in January while waiting for the first VARO decision. Reminded me of how painful it was throughout those times, (but am now 100% letting relief soak in.)

Bigred122, I agree using IRIS can't hurt... and it's good that you can print responses and save paper copies as you go. Just want to wish you luck. Keep working on it from every angle you can. (lots of tips here on hadit.)