Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Accountability

Rate this question

Ret.Navy

Question

I am having a hard time understanding why there is very little accountability by the dept of Vet Affairs for delays, mishandling claims, and unreliable information. It seems as if they do what they want when they want and there is nothing anyone can do about. There should be fines and penalties for treating veteras this way. I wish I could put my life on pause the way the have paused my claim (claim for increase and IU 6/05/2010). Who can veterans hold responsible. I would feel a whole lot better if some one would just flat out tell me "your claim is going to take two decades to process and here is why." Every article or news story I have seen only recognizes that there is a problem, and mentions issues the VA would like to fix in comming years, nothing about who is being accountble for what is going on. The govermnet is activley pursuing piracy and copyright problems with the entertainment industry (an industry I can't afford to indulge in) while the disability claims are pilling up. Every pollotitian I have taked to has responded to me with that same ole' rehersed campaign answer that is suppose to give you a warm and fuzzy feeling just long enough for them to esacpe.

I'm sure that veterans who are able, would help in any way possible to improve the claim process (not handling their own claim of course) I know I would. I am a gulf war vet, so I can't even imagine what vietnam vets are going through. I was a recuiter for the Navy on my last duty station, and a huge selling point for young adult applicants with a family is health care and security, I was proud to be a top recriuter that could say that I didn't lie to or decive my applicants, but now I feel that I have. The very thing I asurred many applicants wouldn't happen is happening to me. (can't work, 2 failed VA hospital surgeries, a proglonged compensation claim, and not a pot to piss in.) , but some kind of way I still love this country. The cupboard is almost bare, and I been praying for rain.

(claim with Waco VRO)

Ret. Navy

(Retired from active duty and actively frustrated)

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

I feel your pain. If you scan this site, you'll notice several approaches to handling your frustration: congressional involvement, going directly to the VARO (peacefully) and asking about your claims, finding hobbies to keep you from thinking about this stuff, hiring lawyers, etc. There are several options for you, depending on your preferences. Personally, I've had a claim in since 6/10/10 and no matter how much I prod them on it, it doesn't move. I sent in some documents the other day which may or may not help the claim, but really wanted to see if eBenefits would even budge. They did show up, so at least I know someone has touched my stuff. Other than that, I can't say. I have read reports that the more you bother them while your claim is in process that you can either slow things down or speed things up. Are you in financial difficulty (jobless, home in jeopardy, etc.)? You could file for an increase in priority due to personal hardship. Forms are at the VA site: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/

• HadIt.com Elder

Ret Navy

I live in Dallas and would like to talk to you. My phone number is 214 691 0530.

As far as accountability the VA has none. They are very caviler about their poor job performance. Hang in there I dealt with Waco and know first hand how frustrating it can be.