Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I File?

Rate this question

ohio disabled vet

Question

I served 25 months active duty . I was discharged under general under honorable conditions. (pattern of disciplinary issues) I believe. I was states side. My fiance became pregnant and I was the happiest person in the world. She decided to have an abortion without telling me. It was a 2 day procedure. When she came back it was clear she was very sick. I found out and "being a man" went with her for support on the 2nd day (even though I was 100% against it). It was honorific, I still picture it every night when I go to sleep. I was sent to the mental ward in Denver Colorado for two weeks against my wishes. And was discharged a few weeks after that.

I had no idea I could file with the VA. They told me I was on my own. I had 25 jobs in the years after I was discharged. I saw shrinks during the periods I would have health insurance, other wise I self medicated. I married and my wife’s insurance covered me. I have been in treatment constant for the last 9 years. 1 inpatient episode. My diagnosis is PTSD. And Social security declared me permanently disabled for life 8 years ago. I was told I can make a claim on this since I was active duty at the time and I served over 2 years. I was also told It did not matter if it was combat related or not.

What steps do I need to take to file a claim, and do you think I have a chance?

Thank you

Eric

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

You will need a current diagnosis from a VA mental health doc.

There will need to be a verifiable stressor from active duty

that the MH doc connects,

or a diagnosis while on active duty.

I have no idea how or if your "discharged under general under honorable conditions'

will plat into it.

JMHO