Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Parkinson's Disease And Tce Exposure

Rate this question

donna68

Question

How many post Vietnam veterans are out there dealing with Parkinson’s disease or symptoms similar to Parkinson’s? Facts are: Parkinson's disease (PD) is one of the most common neurologic disorders. It affects roughly 1.5 million Americans. The Veterans Health Administration treats an estimated 40,000 veterans with PD each year.

Recent studies link Parkinson’s to TCE which is a chemical that was common on military bases. Multiple military bases are on the EPA and ATSDR list.

Parkinson's Disease Risk Greater in Those Exposed to Common Chemical, Trichloroethylene, Study ShowsScienceDaily (Nov. 29, 2011) — A University of Kentucky faculty member is a contributing author on a new study demonstrating a connection between a common solvent chemical and Parkinson's disease. Dr. Franca Cambi of the UK Kentucky Neuroscience Institute collaborated with researchers from across the U.S. on a paper recently published in the Annals of Neurology.

Occupational or environmental exposure to TCE, PERC and CCI4 is common due to the extensive use of the chemicals in dry-cleaning solutions, adhesives, paints, and carpet cleaners. Despite the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banning the use of TCE as a general anesthetic, skin disinfectant, and coffee decaffeinating agent in 1977, it is still widely used today as a degreasing agent. In the U.S., millions of pounds of TCE are still released into the environment each year and it is the most common organic contaminant found in ground water, detected in up to 30 percent of drinking water supplies in the country.

While prior research has indicated a link between TCE exposure and Parkinson's disease, the current findings are the first to report a statistically significant association -- a more than six-fold increased risk. Researchers also found that exposure to PERC and CCI4 tended toward significant risk of developing the disease.

Also note that the ATSDR has identified three completed exposure pathways for (Mc Clellean AFB) on-site military and civilian populations: past exposure via ingestion of TCE-contaminated water from the base's water production wells; inhalation of ambient air (past, current, and future) contaminated with TCE, PCE, 1,1-DCE, MC, benzene, and mercury; and ingestion of PCB-contaminated surface soil (past, current, and future).

On-site residents, civilian and military personnel, and off-site residents living west on the base have been exposed to TCE in groundwater and ambient air. On- and off-site exposure at McClellan Air Force Base resulted from long-term (more than a year) ingestion of contaminated water from base and private residential wells. Other domestic uses of water (e.g., cooking and bathing) resulted in residents inhaling TCE volatilized from the contaminated water and dermal absorption of TCE from the contaminated water. Limited air monitoring data indicate that on- and off-site military and civilian populations near OU B and OU D were also exposed to TCE by the inhalation route.

TCE exposure also causes cancer, so please spread the word and check the EPA and ATSDR site for bases you may have been to.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

retiredat44,

I understand your concern, however San Diego's current policy is a congressional case gets worked ASAP. They even have a congressional staff member that handles all of the congressional inquires. Which basically means he/she is the point of contact for any emails or calls from a congressman, and when he/she gets the call or email, he/she tracks down the case and flags it as a priority case and it gets worked that week or within a few days.

Yes, Im sure some staff may be bias when they get a congressional if they dont think the case warrants being a priority, but in the end they have to work the case within a few days and whether they agree the case should be a priority or not, they still need to stick to the facts and evidence.

Has the VA recognized the connection between PD and TCE? I have PD due to exposure to AO, and I get 30%. I have tried about all the meds and they are not really helping. It is the 30% that really bothers me.

Papa

Vets feel abandoned after secret drug experiments

By David S. Martin, CNN

updated 8:56 AM EST, Thu March 1, 2012

Tried to upload the website, but couldnt get it to paste.

Access at CNN.com

I got my congressman involved a couple weeks ago.. my neurolgist is doing mri tests (having brain mri next week)... things are moving along with doctors, but the VA is still playing games..

my anger explodes thinking about how bad the VA claims system has treated me..

As usall I have kept my info up to date here in the forums..

thanx..

retiredat44,

Again, sorry for your suffering. I am aware that many jet mechanics and other mechanics were soaked in TCE solvents prior to the government pulling it from the shelves in the early 80's, and many folks that were exposed in extreme cases served in Vietnam so if they got sick, they can now connect it to Agent Orange, but unfortunately folks like you have to work harder at connecting it to service.

R U sure VBA had all of your SMR's? What is the status of your case now? Appeals in the San Diego RO are 2 plus years behind, so basically they are just getting to appeals from February 2010 or older. My appeal is from 2008, sitting in LA.

As far as TCE, I was never soaked in it, since I served from 1986, after it was pulled from the shelves. My exposure is from the various dump sites on the EPA list, and 3 of the bases I was stationed at, before the clean up took place. Mc Clellan AFB being the worst site on the current list, aside from Camp Lejune.

Have you written your congressman to get your case listed as a congressional priority?

In my case it is in my smr's that i was soaked in tce, and many othe rchmicals, even though the doctor gav emy commans orders to have me removed form cmical contact, the command ignored the doctors.. it's l in my records so there is no doubt... it's all writeen in stone.. and I told them on tape at the DRO hearing that it is on paper, in records and now on tape,,, so they cannot any longe rplay stupid and ignore all of the evidence..

now they are playing games by delaying the claims process..

My congressman started the process of monitoring the progress of my claim... as of May 2012, they will check in the coming months to see if there is progress by the VA..

I am extremely angry because I am too sick to have to fight witht he mean rotten va process... I am sick and tired every day... to me I feel like thye like to watch people squirm in pain...

I asked for myc laim to be expedited because of illness,,, they actually do the opposite and dig in when they are asked to help... and no one is holding the VA accountable for such dispicalbe actions..

Has the VA recognized the connection between PD and TCE? I have PD due to exposure to AO, and I get 30%. I have tried about all the meds and they are not really helping. It is the 30% that really bothers me.

Papa