Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused On 100% Post Surgery

Rate this question

Stilt

Question

My question concerns the process for receiving 100% compensation post surgery. I filed my AO claim prostate cancer in May of 2011. This is my first disability claim. I had surgery to remove prostate in August 2011. I sent the VA all the doctor reports relative to the surgery during the latter part of August. I had C & P exams in September and October of 2011. C & P noted the fact I did have the surgery. My question is am I required to file a separate claim to be compensated at 100% following the last treatment for the prostate removal surgery [or will the VA note that the surgery was perform and automatically compensate me for the six months following treatment]? My initial claim has not been approved yet.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Let's not make your claim any more difficult than it has to be ...

The rating criteria for prostate cancer are at Diagnostic Code 7528, 38 CFR 4.115b http://www.benefits....RT4/S4_115b.DOC .

Presuming that you had a confirmed diagnosis of prostate cancer when you filed your claim in May 2011, the effective date of any rating under 7528 would be, at a minimum, May xx, 2011. The prostatectomy was on August xx, 2011. What do the criteria for 7528 say?

However, if you feel the need to submit sumpin' special and specific, be my guest.

FWIW, the actuality of a 100% is not an inferred issue. However, SMC-k is an inferred issue.

My question concerns the process for receiving 100% compensation post surgery. I filed my AO claim prostate cancer in May of 2011. This is my first disability claim. I had surgery to remove prostate in August 2011. I sent the VA all the doctor reports relative to the surgery during the latter part of August. I had C & P exams in September and October of 2011. C & P noted the fact I did have the surgery. My question is am I required to file a separate claim to be compensated at 100% following the last treatment for the prostate removal surgery [or will the VA note that the surgery was perform and automatically compensate me for the six months following treatment]? My initial claim has not been approved yet.

Under the quickpay program 100% can be paid for a presumptive if the surgery was dine within 6 MOS of claim. If the surgery is done more than six MOS out an ex will be needed to assess the prostate cancer. If within 6 mos Then an an routine future exam will be scheduled later to find out the current status. Yes the smc k is inferred.

http://benefits.va.gov/TRANSFORMATION/quickpay/index.asp

“The Quick Pay Disability initiative enables Veterans service representatives to fast-track payments to Veterans who have submitted sufficient evidence to decide all or part of a claim. The program covers a wide range of medical conditions, including diabetes mellitus and prostate cancer for Vietnam-era Veterans as well as surgery or joint replacement for a previously service-connected condition. These claims require minimal supporting evidence, allowing VA to process Veterans’ claims and submit payment approximately three months faster than the targeted 125-day cycle period. “

I don't see here if this veteran ,Stilt, used the Quick Pay Program.

If not maybe he should definitely file a claim for Temporary convalescence , as I assume he is an AO exposed veteran, and if he meets the convalescence criteria, available here under a search.

T8r- can a vet, him/herself ,apply for Quick Pay or does that request have to be made by their vet rep?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Sorry, in short anyone can file. Just make sure it adheres to the program.

If the vsr is bright he will infer the 100% for prostate himself and not worry about waiting for vet. Anybody can file for quickpay, but be careful on filing other stuff with it. I've seen an IHD claim go through in three days because of this. Guy had a MI and was in hospital. Guy sent in meds showing hispitaliEd, rvn, and verified service. Same with this prostate scenario. Again, must be within six MOS of filing or still getting radiation/ treatment (active prostate).

Edited by T8r

Thank you all for responding. The reason for my post is because I am confused about the necessity to put in a claim for 100% as opposed to it being recognized because of the records that I provided. I am AO presumptive. I did not file a quick claim because, compared to other veterans, my need is much less severe than others. I am one of the lucky ones to have health insurance and a retirement. Thanks again.