VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dmii From Oral Meds To Insulin. Should I File For An Increase?

Rate this question

OldDave

Question

I am currently rated : IHD=60, DMII=20 and PN=40 (4X10). VA math puts that at 80%. I was put on insulin last month which can increase the DMII from 20% to 40%. The way I calculate the VA math that would put me at 84.25%. This I am sure the VA would round down to 80%. If I end up with the same 80% I have now, does it make any sense to file for an increase at this time? Or, should I wait until there may be something else for which I could file? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

First, please re-read the rating criteria for Diabetes Mellitus, DC 7913 at 38 CFR 4.119 http://www.benefits....ART4/S4_119.DOC . A requirement for insulin, in and of itself, does not justify a 40% evaluation.

As for The way I calculate the VA math that would put me at 84.25%., your calculations are flawed. I suspect you failed to account for the bilateral factor.

I am currently rated : IHD=60, DMII=20 and PN=40 (4X10). VA math puts that at 80%. I was put on insulin last month which can increase the DMII from 20% to 40%. The way I calculate the VA math that would put me at 84.25%. This I am sure the VA would round down to 80%. If I end up with the same 80% I have now, does it make any sense to file for an increase at this time? Or, should I wait until there may be something else for which I could file? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, I know. The criteria says that you also be cautioned about physical activity. I'm on insulin aspart 3 times a day and must eat within 10 minutes of injection Every insert that comes with the insulin has a warning that physical activity can change your need for insulin. I thought I used VA math to calculate what a new rating would be. If I am wrong, could you please tell me what the correct rating would be. I am reluctant to file a claim because I don't think it would make a difference in my compensation. Thanks. Appreciate the input from everyone.

Dave

Dave,

How long since you were rated at 10%X4 for your neuropathies? As you know, neuropathies get worse (not better) over time. If it has been a while you should get retested, by a private neurologist if possible. It could mean an increase for both DMII and PN if PN is shown to be worse now.

I thought I used VA math to calculate what a new rating would be. There you go, thinking again. biggrin.png

If I am wrong, You are.

could you please tell me what the correct rating would be. You might have used a calculator or perhaps some on-line calculator. However, ya' still gots ta' follow the rules. The VA references are 38 CFR 4.25 and 38 CFR 4.26. In your case, because you have bilateral disabilities, you read 4.26 FIRST and then use 4.25 Table 1.

So, if you do apply for an increase of your DMII and it is granted at the 40%, this is how the computation goes:

RL 10% = 10%

Combine LL 10% = 19%

Combine RA 10% = 27%

Combine LA 10% = 34%

ADD 10% bilateral (3.4%, rounded to 3%) = 37%

Combine IHD 60% = 75%

Combine DMII 40% = 85%

Round to 90% for your combined "new" disability rating.

Yes, I know. The criteria says that you also be cautioned about physical activity. I'm on insulin aspart 3 times a day and must eat within 10 minutes of injection Every insert that comes with the insulin has a warning that physical activity can change your need for insulin. I thought I used VA math to calculate what a new rating would be. If I am wrong, could you please tell me what the correct rating would be. I am reluctant to file a claim because I don't think it would make a difference in my compensation. Thanks. Appreciate the input from everyone.

Dave