Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Issue Disappears In Denial...

Rate this question

Ethan'sGrandma

Question

Hello To All,

I have a question regarding a denial...wondering if anybody on the site has an idea of what this may be? My original claim for benefits was for PTSD, depression, and skin disorder. In a past denial, the skin disorder simply disappeared from the claim with no further mention of it. When I went to a hearing years ago and questioned it, it was put back as a claim. So, again there were the three noted. Now, in looking at a denial, I notice this time the depression claim has disappeared. There is no mention of it, not deferred, not anything, just not even mentioned, simply disappeared from VARO verbage. So, is it safe to presume they are deeming it denied, without mentioning that claim issue, or just another mess with this VA claim? Thank you for any responses.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

What was the outcome of the hearing? Was PTSD granted? If service connection for PTSD had been granted, you wouldn't /couldn't receive a separate evaluation for depression.

If service connection for PTSD was not granted, what was the verbiage in the issue? Was the issue stated something like "Mental disorder to include depression and post-traumatic stress disorder"?

Hello To All,

I have a question regarding a denial...wondering if anybody on the site has an idea of what this may be? My original claim for benefits was for PTSD, depression, and skin disorder. In a past denial, the skin disorder simply disappeared from the claim with no further mention of it. When I went to a hearing years ago and questioned it, it was put back as a claim. So, again there were the three noted. Now, in looking at a denial, I notice this time the depression claim has disappeared. There is no mention of it, not deferred, not anything, just not even mentioned, simply disappeared from VARO verbage. So, is it safe to presume they are deeming it denied, without mentioning that claim issue, or just another mess with this VA claim? Thank you for any responses.

• HadIt.com Elder

You have no choice to treat the disappearance as a denial if you don't like the results and want to appeal. Remember that the VA hopes you will forget, and allow the appeal time limit to expire.

Thank you for the replies. The verbiage did not make any note of the claim for depression at all, only the claim for PTSD was mentioned and denied. There was absolutely no reference to a claim for depression, not even a mention of it. This claim is already on appeal, but I was wondering if that's how they operate...just omit a claim? I've already written them asking why the issue was omitted, but I don't expect a response, honestly. Again, thank you very much for any responses.

Okay then, see Chuck75's comment.

Thank you for the replies. The verbiage did not make any note of the claim for depression at all, only the claim for PTSD was mentioned and denied. There was absolutely no reference to a claim for depression, not even a mention of it. This claim is already on appeal, but I was wondering if that's how they operate...just omit a claim? I've already written them asking why the issue was omitted, but I don't expect a response, honestly. Again, thank you very much for any responses.

• HadIt.com Elder

IT sounds to me like in denying the PTSD that was inclusive of the depression. As far as I know there is not a separate claim for depression recognized by the VA. A service officer once told me that if you file a claim for depression it will always be denied unles they can associate it with another recognizable diagnosis listed in the DSM IV. There is a DSM IV diagnosis of a condition called major depressive disorder. This condition in and of itself can be service connected. I have seen claims awarded for PTSD with Major depressive disorder. However, the diagnosis of major depressive disorder is more complex than just feeling depressed. Make sure that you did not have a diagnosis of major depressive disorder that was not adjudicated and had a possibility of being linked to any symptoms that occurred while in the military or secondary to other service connected conditions.