VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cpap

Rate this topic

I have having quite a bit of trouble with my Cpap. It drys me out even though it has a humidifier. Getting it to fit my face without pain after a few hours is almost impossible. I have had two changes in masks already. Am I the only one who has these problems? Is there a List or blog where people discuss solutions to problems with cpaps and sleep apnea?

John

John,

you may need to get a chin strap to keep your mouth closed. I used one for a while and as soon as I stopped using it, the dry mouth and throat came back, so you will have to use it everytime you use the CPAP machine. You will have to ask VA for a chin strap or buy one at a medical supply store; they cost about $20 or less.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete992

I have a deviated septum so I need to have my mouth open to breath. Maybe I will need to see ENT guy to get my nose fixed if possible. Right now I feel pretty depressed about my problems with the cpap.

Ive known two people that had that surgery. THEY LOVED IT! said it was like a facelift and being able to breath normally at the same time. I didnt see one of them after. But, I did see ONE, and it was like a major face job, took ten years or more off. They had no more breathing issues either. Theyve done so many of em by now, Surgeons have that stuff down. I wouldnt hesitiate if I were you, and if its not too hard on the bank acct. Sincerely, Good Luck, and I hope you cheer up! Mystic

The Dr has me using a "Adaptive servo-ventilation" (ASV) machine for my csa and was wondering if anyone here is using one as well? The only problem is the same thing everyone else has, the mask. What it does is, the machine stores information about your normal breathing pattern and automatically uses the airflow pressure to prevent pauses in your breathing while sleeping. Another words, it breaths the same as you. It actually a pretty cool machine with the humidifier.

I don't know if it makes a big difference but I'm a little lazy when it comes to cleaning the hose, like it shows in the book. I think mine says to clean it every day. I been doin it once a week.

People with osa can use this machine as well.

I have a question about the full face mask. Does it cover your entire face and does it work better than the cup type?

Coot

ps; My AHI is 84.7 (sever) and the doc says it's because of my meds. Morphine, Oxycodone and Lidocaine patches. Is anyone else this bad, and does anyone get more than 50% for their apnea? Thanks!

Hey Cooter,

I'm told by the sleep techs that a full face mask is harder to get a seal with. I have a mustache and goatee and they recommended that I not try a full face mask except as a last resort.

My CPAP uses a program called "C+Flex" that sounds similar to your ASV. It "learns" my breathing and automatically lowers the pressure when I've stopped inhaling then increases the pressure when I start to inhale. It also will increase the pressure automatically if I don't inhale (as if my airway is blocked by my relaxed jaw). Sometimes I hold my breath just to see what it will do and, sure enough, it brings on the pressure and keeps upping it until I inhale again. No one at the hospital ever mentioned this function and I'm only aware of it after reading the manual for the machine. I'm actually pretty impressed that it can figure out when I'm inhaling and exhaling and knows just the right moment to change the pressure.

I haven't heard of anyone getting more than 50% percent just for using the CPAP. There are some medical complications that will raise the rating, I think to 100%, but they are pretty serious complications. My AHI is 91, OSA only, and not related to medications. I'm playing hell trying to get service connected for CPAP use despite the plethora of studies showing marked increase of OSA in GWV's. I keep fighting them tho and one of these days they are going to grant it just to get me off their backs! HAH!

sleeper

​I'm in the same vote as you with the mustache and goatee. What works better for is to sleep on my side facing the machine. But everyone has their own sleep habits. Wow your AHI is 91!!!..How many hours of sleep do you get a night? I average about 4. Do they know yet what's causing the OSA? I take it you already been denied for it . I haven't applied for it yet. Waiting to put my claim in for my back. Currently waiting on a claim for TDIU. Just had my C&P 2 weeks ago after waiting a year and a half.

The kind of mask I'm using is the type that has the cup over the nose and mouth and it also has a adjustable knob that attached to the cup and rests on my forehead. It's my second one so hoping it'll do the trick. Yea, these machines are something else aren't they.

Coot

sleeper

​I'm in the same vote as you with the mustache and goatee. What works better for is to sleep on my side facing the machine. But everyone has their own sleep habits. Wow your AHI is 91!!!..How many hours of sleep do you get a night? I average about 4. Do they know yet what's causing the OSA? I take it you already been denied for it . I haven't applied for it yet. Waiting to put my claim in for my back. Currently waiting on a claim for TDIU. Just had my C&P 2 weeks ago after waiting a year and a half.

The kind of mask I'm using is the type that has the cup over the nose and mouth and it also has a adjustable knob that attached to the cup and rests on my forehead. It's my second one so hoping it'll do the trick. Yea, these machines are something else aren't they.

Coot

Cooter,

My apologies, that AHI of 91 was a dyslexic typo. My AHI is only 19. Sorry about that.

As for a cause, they haven't listed anything in my records yet. I am on meds that could be contributing such as cloneazepam and flexeril at bedtime. There are a lot of studies that closely link sleep apnea in GWV's but they don't know why (yet). I have my first appointment with the sleep doctor late in March to review my use of the machine.

Yes, I was denied S/C for OSA but I am challenging not only the decision but the competency of the exam. I have another thread in the C&P forum about it. Basically, they sent me for a C&P before I ever went in for my second sleep study to be titrated for the CPAP and the doc basically pencil whipped the whole exam.

I'm with you on sleeping on my side facing the machine. That seems to work best but I do tend to move around in my sleep and all too often wake up finding that I have taken off the mask in my sleep. I'm definitely not getting the full therapeutic value out of it because of that. My mask covers my nose only and has the bar that rests on my forehead. I can adjust the angle of the top of the mask with an adjustable hinge which seems to help. The mask also inflates somewhat when the machine is turned on which helps it make a seal but it does make it somewhat uncomfortable after a while no matter how loose my straps are.

And that's another thing, I must have CPAP gremlins. I swear the damn straps never fit the same from night to night. Its like someone came in and adjusted the straps when I wasn't around. Its very odd.

I was looking online and found a special pillow with a cutout for the mask when you're sleeping on your side. I'm thinking of getting one to see if it helps me be a little more comfortable and not rip off the mask in my sleep.

Have you noticed an increase in your dreaming since starting the machine? I used to never have dreams I remembered, now I am having very intense dreams/nightmares that sometime go on all friggin' night long. My shrink said that it is "normal" and has been noted to be particularly troublesome with vets that have PTSD. We're working on positive image therapy to try to deal with that. I think its a great idea but sometimes I think they're reaching with all this mental hooha.

Pete

Edited by sleeper692