Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dic And Ss

teejay53

Question

hi to all;

at this time i am receiving dic and ss disability based on my deceased hubby's work record.

does anyone know if i should wait until my 60th birthday to apply to social security and do they ever deny you?

also will that decrease my dic benefits i receive now?

i thank you for your help.

teejay

blink.png

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

teejay,

DIC benefits are separate from Social Security and are not affected by the amount you receive from SSA. The current basic monthly rate of DIC is $1,154 for an eligible surviving spouse.

As to your Social Security question, are you are receiving SSDI based off your husband's work record because you're currently 50 or older and considered disabled by Social Security's definition of disability already? If so, then nothing will change when you reach 60 years of age. If not, then you can receive full benefits at full retirement age for survivors or reduced benefits as early as age 60; the rules are complicated.

I hope this helps....

Edited by Bonzai

• HadIt.com Elder

Bonzai - I just checked www.va.gov and from what I interpreted the current DIC rate is $1195 monthly, plus an additional $254 monthly, if the spouse was married to the veteran the 8 yrs just prior to the vet's death. I don't think I misread it. You might want to check me tho!

pr

teejay,

DIC benefits are separate from Social Security and are not affected by the amount you receive from SSA. The current basic monthly rate of DIC is $1,154 for an eligible surviving spouse.

As to your Social Security question, are you are receiving SSDI based off your husband's work record because you're currently 50 or older and considered disabled by Social Security's definition of disability already? If so, then nothing will change when you reach 60 years of age. If not, then you can receive full benefits at full retirement age for survivors or reduced benefits as early as age 60; the rules are complicated.

I hope this helps....

No problem PR, I got my info from a Word document that was probably from last year. I totally forgot about the additional amount if the spouse was married to the vet for eight years prior to death. I checked into this last year, just in case for my wife.

yes, i am receiving social security disability from my deceased husbands retirement and dic.

i called ss and they confused me more than i was.

i do not know if i am supposed to apply for regular retirement (drawing from my husband's retirement) when i reach 60 years of age or does my ssdi automatically change when i turn 60 years of age to retirement.

and are folks every denied for any reason?

thank you all for your help

teejay

blink.png