Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tricare For Life Fees

teejay53

Question

i called tricare today with a question abt medicare and was told in the new budget that they are trying to pass there will be monthly fees added on to tricare for life.

that is all the rep would tell me. thought this might be of interest.

have a great day.

teejay

mellow.png

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The way I read these charts is that one pertains to an E7's thru and 04's These charts are not from a government source. The charts appear to be synopses of selected information from the actual proposals and made with certain assumptions; I guess one could choose to read them any way one chooses.

I did a simple search for DOD's proposals to the Administration for the F2013 budget but all I came up with were similar synopses and recommended letters to send to Congress and the Administration. As you seem to disagree with these charts, why don't dig up those actual proposals so you can tell us for sure? As for me, the charts are indicative enough.

the same chart also list a current enrollement fee of $520 with a proposed fee to $720... this is misleading since right now no one pays an enrollement fee. Please read the charts again. The top boxes, which you appear to refer to, are clearly labeled TriCare PRIME, which does have an enrollment fee. The second chart on each page is TriCare Standard, which currently does not have an enrollment fee. The proposed TriCare Standard enrollment fee in FY2013 is $140. Based on some of the amounts on both charts, I believe all proposed fees are for a retired military member and spouse and not per person.

Also I couldn't help but notice they really want to screw the people on SS. Those on social security are already paying twice what those who are not on ss pay. You just noticed that? The monthly Medicare Pt B premium is far more expensive than any subsidized TriCare premium. Paying the Medicare Pt B premium was the negotiated price for TFL, which didn't exist until 2001.

Some information about the battle for TFL: "Although winning the case in the district court in 2001, the judgment against the U.S. was overturned by the U.S. Court of Appeals in 2002. The U.S. Congress later redressed this situation by establishing the "TRICARE For Life" (TFL) program, which restored TRICARE military medical benefits for career military retirees over the age of 65, making the retirees eligible for both programs with Medicare as the primary payer and TRICARE as the secondary payer."

Under the proposal it seems thay want to almost double what those on SS now pay.. Over a six year period of time from today through FY2017, that would appear to be so. Again, the numbers on these charts appear to for the retired military member and the spouse.

The other chart see to concern those in grades W4 thru 05. This leads me to think that those with retired grades e-6 and under may not have to pay any new enrollement fees.. Based on your interpretation, would retired O1-O3 also be exempt? As pay grades E8, E9, W1, W2, and W3 are not specifically mentioned, are they also exempt? I seriously doubt that.

There are notes on both charts which refer to the 2nd and 3rd "Retirement Income Tier" , so I suspect that retired pay grades E1-E6 would be in the "1st Retirement Income Tier" with lower fees ... but fees nonetheless.

Sounds suspiciously like "means testing". Look for that term WRT Medicare and perhaps even some access to Social Security payments themselves.

Guess we will just have to wait and see. Well duh ... but writing letters to your Congressmen, the Secretary of Defense, the chairman of the House Armed Service Committee and the chairman of the Senate Armed Service Committee are something WE can do ... have you written and sent those letters? I have.

At this point, all we have are proposals and it behooves us to make our concerns known.

The way I read these charts is that one pertains to an E7's thru and 04's the same chart also list a current enrollement fee of $520 with a proposed fee to $720... this is misleading since right now no one pays an enrollement fee. Also I couldn't help but notice they really want to screw the people on SS. Those on social security are already paying twice what those who are not on ss pay. Under the proposal it seems thay want to almost double what those on SS now pay.. The other chart see to concern those in grades W4 thru 05. This leads me to think that those with retired grades e-6 and under may not have to pay any new enrollement fees.. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

A little deeper research found the overview of the 2013 Budget at http://comptroller.defense.gov/defbudget/fy2013/FY2013_Budget_Request_Overview_Book.pdf . While the important page for TriCare fees is 5-4, you are welcome to read about force levels and weapons procurement as well.

WRT the documents I posted earlier ... the information there appears to have been extrapolated (or "massaged") somewhat with some additional assumptions about the number of visit co-pays and prescription filled at civilian pharmacies to show the impact on some "typical" military retiree.

The impact depends on the "tier" , that is, retiree/annuitant pay.

As you seem to disagree with these charts, why don't dig up those actual proposals so you can tell us for sure? As for me, the charts are indicative enough.

the same chart also list a current enrollement fee of $520 with a proposed fee to $720... this is misleading since right now no one pays an enrollement fee. Please read the charts again. The top boxes, which you appear to refer to, are clearly labeled TriCare PRIME, which does have an enrollment fee. The second chart on each page is TriCare Standard, which currently does not have an enrollment fee. The proposed TriCare Standard enrollment fee in FY2013 is $140. Based on some of the amounts on both charts, I believe all proposed fees are for a retired military member and spouse and not per person.

Guess we will just have to wait and see. Well duh ... but writing letters to your Congressmen, the Secretary of Defense, the chairman of the House Armed Service Committee and the chairman of the Senate Armed Service Committee are something WE can do ... have you written and sent those letters? I have.

At this point, all we have are proposals and it behooves us to make our concerns known.

1. Technically and Presently There is not an actual enrollment fee for Tricare Prime never has been. What is listed as a enrollment fee is the actual yearly cost of Tricare Prime. Why they call it an enrollment fee is beyond me.... it is the cost of the insurance. Unlike Tricare Extra and standard which have no premium cost. However the discussion of adding a new enrollment fee is to be an actual fee to be paid once a year, in additon to the current yearly cost. The proposed enrollment fee must be paid at the beginning of the year, were as the yearly cost of the insurance can be paid in quarterly payments or monthy installments.

http://www.tricare.mil/tma/tricarecost.aspx

2. The charts are nice to look at generate and conversation, but otherwise are actually useless. For me to waste time looking for the actual proposals would be silly, since there has been many proposals concerning tricare fees for at least the last 5 years..... I am not really interested in proposals untill such a time as congress decides to vote on one.

3. you can write anyone you want, I do not waste time and stamps any more for such nonsense, writing your congressman, senator or anyone else usually acheives little if any results. The normal reply to such letter are thanks for your interest, I will keep them in mind when the item is voted on, ( Then they vote their owm way).... acheives nothing.....

Update from the House Armed Services Personnel Subcommittee:

The Subcommittee-approved bill contains no provisions regarding either the major TRICARE fee hikes or the retirement-reform commission proposed in the Pentagon’s FY2013 defense budget submission.

http://www.moaa.org/Main_Menu/Take_Action/Legislative_Update/2012_Legislative_Updates/April_27,_2012.html#Panel