VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is There Any Financial Planning Available For Disabled Veterans?

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I ask because my DH's therapist is strongly recommending that he consider retirement (before he gets fired for an anger issue-type event). So I'm reading financial planning websites and books, but nobody has information that really applies.

I mean, everything I've been reading talks about the urgency of Long Term Care insurance. Well, do we even need it? We both are in Priority 1 status for VA healthcare, and he gets ChampVA benefits.

It just seems like all the 'brand-name' sources have little or no knowledge of what disabled vets have or deal with.

I tried to follow the link on e-benefits, but got lost.

And if my DH does retire early, what then? :(

I'm sorry, I'm just feeling so confused and anxious. Big changes on the horizon make me want to curl up and disappear.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Carlie, yes, same DH that had the C&P coming up. Went through that okay, if what the examiner told him was put in writing.

I completely forgot about USAA - we've had them for years and years. I use their website and see the section on financial planning, but never thought about it.

Man, sometimes I feel like I need a babysitter or something.

Good advice, from all, thank you. Papa & Testvet, good thoughts about saving and finding a CFP. I think USAA has them, now that I'm thinking that way.

Tbird, thanks for the links. I got lost again looking at them, but it's not because they're no good, it's because I get so haywire in my mind when I start trying to follow things.

I think I'm freaking about DH possibly retiring. I'd love it so much if he were home with me, but he's been DH The Engineer for most of his life. I worry about how he'd feel about himself if that part of his identity went away. Plus, his job is all of his social interaction aside from me and our adult daughter. He's not friends with anyone outside work, so I worry he'll be lonely. I know from my own experience that even the daily "how's it going?" "what's up with this weather?" is better than nothing at all...

And he's a good, highly experienced engineer. They ask him for advice. His ego needs that. Where will he get that affirmation if he retires?

The reality is that he isn't any more explosive than he ever was, what's new and different is that all the VN vets who worked with him, were his supervisors or in his chain of command, are retired now. It's all younger people who don't know how to react or understand what's going on.

I remember my dear old Dad. He was a draftsman/architect of the old school, the guy with the compass and pencil and ruler. Then the organization started bring in computers and email and Computer Assisted Drawing and he had to take classes. He had been a talented, respected member of the group, but the computer befuddled him and made him feel stupid. He retired earlier than he wanted to and was depressed for a long time. But he had a load of hobbies and started joining clubs and eventually taught art classes at the local community college.

I don't see my dear hubby joining any clubs - he really does not play well with others. :(

Wow, derailed myself a bit didn't I?

Thanks again, all.