VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iu And Work

Rate this question

babycatcher

Question

Hello, I'm new here and hoping for some advice. Receiving TDIU and working very occasionally (a few times a year) for a hospital, as well as a bit of self employment doing homebirths. I recently got a call from the VSO that they need me to fill out an employment form for VA, or my benefits will be cut, then got the same form from the rep agency in Oakland. First question for you all; how do I report my self earnings, or, how do I account for my expenses that I put down on the schedule C at tax time? The form asks for gross income, and I feel this is just a way to take away my IU. There is no way I am, or could, work again full time. :wacko: Next, I got a letter from Oakland saying I needed another exam to confirm my conditions, or something like that! As far as I know, I've got P & T status, got an ID and base privileges, etc. Whats up? Anybody else being messed with like this????? Please help, as I've got to respond ASAP, or forgo the groceries... :)

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello again,

I couldn't find this thread! So far, this has been a tough site to navigate; I only got here when I noticed the link in an email after searching around the page for a couple hours. I figured there had to be some responses...Hi Wings! If there are tips for the site, I'd appreciate it.

OK, questions: the hospital job is a few times a year, usually, at $300 each time, but it's been more than a year since they used me. The babycatching is also 3-5 a year, do the prenatal care in an office I rent one day a week and mostly don't use, and then attend the women at their home. I am nervous as I type, am I safe here sharing my info? I would like Magoo, Vike to have all the info, I know Wings has lots of knowledge in these areas, but I have my fears (surprise, surprise). Are there known snipers here? There is more to this around the onset of the award...let me know if it's OK....

• HadIt.com Elder

babycatcher:

I used to worry about snipers (as you call them) back in 1999, when I first started here.

But ... I have long learned ... give as much (straight up) info to as many here as possible and you will get the best answers.

You might not like the answers ... but, at least you will know where you stand and what direction to take and that is your best position at this point.

You are already on the VARO radar screen and just don't give your exact location, SS No. and where you hide your door key .. if that makes you feel better.

There are a lot of brains on here a lot better than mine ... I just try to use common sense when my brain cells are firing.

You need to try to somehow honestly minimize your .. "whatever you are doing".. and get through this mess ...then don't do it again.

The tax records are the only thing that is set in stone .. that I see so far.

Everything else is OPEN to intrepretation .. and it will be your position to honestly minimize that position.

Got my drift ???

... Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... :)

PS .. All of us have had to make some giant lifestyle changes and I am still learning that ... even at this moment.

• HadIt.com Elder
Hello again,

I couldn't find this thread! So far, this has been a tough site to navigate; I only got here when I noticed the link in an email after searching around the page for a couple hours. I figured there had to be some responses...Hi Wings! If there are tips for the site, I'd appreciate it.

OK, questions: the hospital job is a few times a year, usually, at $300 each time, but it's been more than a year since they used me. The babycatching is also 3-5 a year, do the prenatal care in an office I rent one day a week and mostly don't use, and then attend the women at their home. I am nervous as I type, am I safe here sharing my info? I would like Magoo, Vike to have all the info, I know Wings has lots of knowledge in these areas, but I have my fears (surprise, surprise). Are there known snipers here? There is more to this around the onset of the award...let me know if it's OK....

Babycatcher,

Snipers: Yes and No lol! You are being honest and you have more to gain by asking these questions NOW rather than later if the VA ever decided to audit your claim.

The first thing that comes to my mind is - 1) that your earnings are marginal and 2) you may greatly benefit psychologically (rather than financially) by your present career services. I myself might ask my shrink/advocate what their opinions are about continued, albeit limited involvement in the medical field, delivering babies ;-) This type of limited social activity might be just what the doctor ordered and s/he can substantiate their opinion with a letter stating as much. If you have a PTSD counselor in your corner, your marginal (not gainful) current earnings could be written off as mental health THERAPY. JMHO.

The best way to navigate Hadit, for me, is to go to the home page of the discussion forum: http://www.hadit.com/forums/

then see upper right side of page these options

My Blog · My Controls · View New Posts · My Assistant · New Messages

CLICK ON View New Posts

~Wings over and out ;-)

OK, Thanks Magoo,

More on the births. I'm in the northern part of a western state with a large summer based cash crop, if you get my drift, so most of my clients do not use insurance. Or I should say I don't take insurance, and most have the cash available to pay, $2500 for the total package. The form I have to fill out wants info on the last 12 months, and my lousy memory keeps me from being able to freely recall how many births in that time, my fearful procrastination keeps me from looking up the charts.

The thing is, this is work of my hearts desire. I guess I could be a free midwife, so as not to lose my calling, because sometimes the idea that I will be present for a new life in the next month or two is all that keeps me hanging on. Someone asked my ratings: can't remember the breakdown, but PTSD, migraines, IBS. And these things continue. I can pretty much count on a migraine after a birth if I've been up all night, but that's OK a few times a year, for the joy. My PTSD is only worse with the state of the world, and now this.

About the award: I got the 80% in '99, and this great VSO (wish he was still around) really encouraged me to file for the IU. I had a high paying, busy job as a nurse midwife where I was burning out, headache problems, and struggling with the docs-can u say authority problem?-I guess he saw the writing on the wall. I got laid off, and he left for a counselling job, and I forgot about the IU. I worked here and there, and then took this clinic job that was only 2 days a week when the award came in Nov 02. I kept that job til the headaches, (and another bastard MD) KO'ed me in Mar 03. I was in a new county, and the VSO helper was like "well, let's see what happens" Now here in 06 they want me to tell about 03, so it's like everything is coming down.

The reality is, though, I'm not working every day, or every week or month. Theres no way. I don't advertise, but my name is on the door where I've shared that office for 4 years; that should go, you guys are telling me it should all go. :)

Last question: I got the letter saying to expect a C&P, but no appt. I sure don't want to miss it, who to call to find out the date?

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you may be facing a decision between your midwifery career and your VA Compensation. I also live in the Northern part of a western State and respect that IT'S A SMALL WORLD. The community understands I am a veteran first, and a community member second. It's a sacrifice. I wouldn't want to do anything that would compromise my VA Comp. I have 2 kids that depend on me.

If you are going to have a medical career, it means that you have to invest the time and energy to keep your skills up-to-date. I have heard stories abound regarding midwives that slacked on their education and this made them a liability to the community.

Like I said below, I would definately run this information past my shrink/doctor, and weigh the pros and cons of 'hobby v. vocation'. A HOBBY is a GREAT thing and helps keep the PTSD at the back door, but I could never trust myself to take on the normal day-to-day stressors involved in a medical "practice". It wouldn't be fair to me or to those in my care. I am NOT an emotionally stable person!

Best of luck to you. My first baby was delivered by a midwife and her assistant - at home. I do respect the medical field - and expect those that care for others on the brink of life and death remain truely centered and mindful and continually educated.

All the best! ~Wings

Guest DON20906

One exception to the 100% schedular rating and employment issue is in the case of mental disorders. The "total occupational and social impairment" criterion makes this the only condition in the Rating Schedule subject to review for employability. While VA can't use Income Verification Match as with IU to check who's working, if a 100% mental vet garners the VA's attention, as in working as a VSO s/he can expect to be reviewed.

Peter,

One thing to keep in mind, if you're 100% schedular and working as an SO, accredited or otherwise, the VA has no problem with that. However, if you're 100% IU and working as an accredited SO, volatarily or paid, the VA may look at this as the veteran being able to some type of work, in this case, an office job. Now, if you're 100% IU and helping veterans with their claims on your spare time and are not their official Power of Attorney, then the veteran will stay off the VA's radar screen. Just a thought!

Vike 17