Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Study Coming Up. Questions...

Rate this question

usmcman001

Question

I am going in for a sleep study to see if I get diagnosed for apnea. What does this entail and are any of you on disability for sleep apnea?

Is apnea considered connected to PTSD or anxiety, depression at all? I am diagnosed with PTSD and was wondering how I would file this claim. Should I do it by itself or do I do it as secondary to ptsd or another issue? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

JMHO-If they granted everyone with CPAP 50% the VA would have to close down.

If it is service connected, they DO give 50% to everyone with a CPAP. Myself included.

I am going in for a sleep study to see if I get diagnosed for apnea. What does this entail and are any of you on disability for sleep apnea?

Is apnea considered connected to PTSD or anxiety, depression at all? I am diagnosed with PTSD and was wondering how I would file this claim. Should I do it by itself or do I do it as secondary to ptsd or another issue? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks

As it was explained to me, sleep apnea is caused by a physical obstruction of your airway that causes you to stop breathing periodically during sleep. For that reason, I doubt that it can be related to PTSD or depression, I have depression and anxiety along with sleep apnea and they told me they are seperate issues. Depression and anxiety can cause sleep issues as well but not the same as sleep apnea. I hope that makes sense. Good luck with yours.

Sleep Apnea is a lot more complex than the VA or many doctors recognize.

I would be very interested to see a study done on prevelance in the general population and then in the veteran population.

I remember back in the 80's a lot of people (me included) actually hitting the gym to bulk up our necks so that we could make weight on the tape test and not get put on the Weight Control Program.

What is one of the factors for obstructive sleep apnea? A large neck circumfrence (excess tissue in the neck).

I am still waiting on a decision. I am sevice connected for hypertension and enlarged heart, but they are dragging thier feet on a sleep apnea decision. My diagnosis for Sleep Apnea like many, was years after service, but my pulmonologist looked at my medical records and stated (in writing) that clearly my inservice hypertension and early test results noting a possibly enlarged right atria, along with my weight and the circumfrence of my neck make it more likely than not that sleep apnea began during my military service.

Detroit VA has been chewing this for 4 years now, sooner or later they have to swallow it or spit it out!

If they try to spit it out I am going to the BVA. There are BVA approvals for sleep apnea that have been granted on a record of snoring in service, from lay testimony not even a medical record!

Get your nexus statement and dont give up!

• HadIt.com Elder

I take opiates and clonazepam both of which make my sleep apnea worse. I take the opiates and clonazepam for SC conditions. Could I SC it that way as secondary. My apnea is obstructive only. I am obese but not in the morbid category just in the "fat ass" category.

Ok everyone I had the study last friday and got a call on tuesday stating I did in fact have sleep apnea and I will be recieving a letter by mail for a follow up appt with a Dr.

Ok so here is my concern. How do I go about proving that the apnea is SC? I have PTSD and depression but had the apnea prior to taking meds for this. I stated this to PC Dr. so he would give me an appt for a sleep study. Same day was prescribed drugs for PTSD/Depression.

Any help would be great!