Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Study Coming Up. Questions...

Rate this question

usmcman001

Question

I am going in for a sleep study to see if I get diagnosed for apnea. What does this entail and are any of you on disability for sleep apnea?

Is apnea considered connected to PTSD or anxiety, depression at all? I am diagnosed with PTSD and was wondering how I would file this claim. Should I do it by itself or do I do it as secondary to ptsd or another issue? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Do you have night terrors/nightmares related to your PTSD?

You will need a letter from a medical provider explaining how your SC disorder (PTSD) has caused you to develop Sleep apnea. The physician will need to see the entire sleep study and doctors notes regarding the sleep apnea to get it right the first time. I know it has been medically proven that people who have disrupted sleep/lack of sleep are prone to developing apnea. If your PTSD provider and sleep doc agree that your sleep has been so disrupted that it has caused the development of Apnea it would be a big step in the right direction. Having both of them on board with nexus letters that support each other would be necessary.

If you had apnea prior to the medications, the only argument with the medication would be that it excaburated existing apnea to the point that it required treatment or produced daytime sleepiness, but that would be a hard position to defend. If you go that route get multiple provider statements supporting it (See IMO section for requirements).

Best regards,

Edited by 71M10

• HadIt.com Elder

Since I started using the cpap I stopped snoring but now I feel awful and am even more sleeply and tired than before I used the cpap. My wife says I have the "sleeping disease". I want to sleep all the time but I can't. I do have an incident in Vietnam where I went days without sleeping for no particular reason. It began to really drive me wild and I just went berserk. The MP's had to come and get me and I was taken to the medical unit and given an injection of something that made me sleep for days. It is in my records. Is this the kind of proof of a sleep disorder I need for SC.

I was diagnosed with obstructive apnea. I am currently on a cpap as well. Still need help on what to do as far as filing a claim to get SC for apnea. I have nothing in med records that I could find. I claimed this started in 2003 after deployment to Iraq is when it was noticed and the sleep problems started. Wife can ttest to the apnea like problems starting in that period of time. I am on sertraline and prescribed trazodone but do not take trazodone now. Increased nightmares. (have a appt with PC doc to go over this). Please help me figure out what to do. I know without a doubt this was caused and started while in service.

I was dx as having mixed SA with an AH of 87.4, mostly central (opiates) and the OSA (deviated septum). Dr's treatment solely for CSA due to severe apnea count supposedly due to high volume of morphine and oxy used to control the severe pain from an SC TKR (Total Knee Replacement) surgery back in 08. Also have daytime sleepiness which requires Nuvigil 250mg twice a day just to be able to stay awake and have at least some kind of life. I havn't filed yet, but when I do, it will be claimed as secondary to the TKR. Hopefully, it will stay local and not upstairs. Your commits are welcomed, good or bad.

coot