Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim For Dependants

Rate this question

GoldDvlDog

Question

Hello all,

I filed a claim with my wifes info on the original claim on sept. 2010. On dec.2011 i was awarded 30%, in the award letter it stated they needed more info for my wife. Sine my original claim i had a baby so i submmited the dependant paper work all over again dec. 24 2011. I got a letter today stateing i won the drpendant claim but the effective date is dec. 1 2011. My question is shoulf i have gotten retro for all the way back to my original date of sept 2010 since the dependant letter was a response to the "need more info" or is this a cue that thedidnt catch that this was not a new claim for dependancy but a response to the award letter. And now they only want to pay back to the day they gpt the new dependant info?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Hello all,

I filed a claim with my wifes info on the original claim on sept. 2010. On dec.2011 i was awarded 30%, in the award letter it stated they needed more info for my wife. Sine my original claim i had a baby so i submmited the dependant paper work all over again dec. 24 2011. I got a letter today stateing i won the drpendant claim but the effective date is dec. 1 2011. My question is shoulf i have gotten retro for all the way back to my original date of sept 2010 since the dependant letter was a response to the "need more info" or is this a cue that thedidnt catch that this was not a new claim for dependancy but a response to the award letter. And now they only want to pay back to the day they gpt the new dependant info?

You should get paid back to the effective date of the 30% award..... However for the child you will only get paid from birth since it was after the claim was filed. File a request for reconsideration... basically a letter and indicate that they made a mistake and why....

Thank you for info. Sorry for all the mispellings my m.s. is bad today. And by letter for rec. Do you mean a nod or is it different?

Well you could do a nod, but I really think a letter with a subject line: request for reconsideration Then: reference your decision dated ______

concerning dependant status...and then explain the situtation. If you do a NOD they won't consider it for some time , but a request for reconsideration they should just look at it an realize that they only need to make a small correction and they are done.

you should be paid for your wife back to when you filed and the child when it was born.

you did the dependent notice when you filed, so that is one part of the NOD you need to file. The other part is that the added amount for the dependent is a retro for one year, if I remember right. check with your VSO.

Hello all,

Golddvldog:

Back in 2010, I filed claims on behalf of my two children, for GWI. I received a letter back denying my claim for dependents. How did you go about being awarded 30%? May I ask what it was for?