Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is This Going To Hurt The Claim

Rate this question

jessie0054

Question

My son has filed a claim with the VA for Chronic back pain that progressed to back surgury with fusions at the L4-L5, L5- S1 levels with internal hardware.

While in the service he injuries his back twice. I just received [sOME] of his MSR which has only one of theses injuries in them. This one has where he was taken from the hanger by ambulance to the base hospital where he was diagnosed with " Acute Lumbar strain/spasm with Myospasm. An Xray was taken of L5 of the spine.

In the notes it is writen that " Pt has history of back injury" "Low back contusion without HNP 3 years ago in a football game" [ this was in highschool]

The Xray shows a ? L5-S1 narrowing space possibly from an old injury.

Is this going to hurt his claim for Chronic Back Pain and denie his claim??

Thanks in advance for your reply.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
My son has filed a claim with the VA for Chronic back pain that progressed to back surgury with fusions at the L4-L5, L5- S1 levels with internal hardware.

While in the service he injuries his back twice. I just received [sOME] of his MSR which has only one of theses injuries in them. This one has where he was taken from the hanger by ambulance to the base hospital where he was diagnosed with " Acute Lumbar strain/spasm with Myospasm. An Xray was taken of L5 of the spine.

In the notes it is writen that " Pt has history of back injury" "Low back contusion without HNP 3 years ago in a football game" [ this was in highschool]

The Xray shows a ? L5-S1 narrowing space possibly from an old injury.

Is this going to hurt his claim for Chronic Back Pain and denie his claim??

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Military injuries and surgery focus. military limb injury w/surgery, now SC w/%, chronic condition. SMR showed MEP doc and ER tech notes "patient" gave teenage history; First claim? C&P exam may ask for "early" history .

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Military injuries and surgery focus. military limb injury w/surgery, now SC w/%, chronic condition. SMR showed MEP doc and ER tech notes "patient" gave teenage history; First claim? C&P exam may ask for "early" history .

Yes, This is a first Claim:

As far as a early history, This statement of a " Contusion, to the low back during a foot ball game " is the first i have heard of it. I don't remember him having any complaints of back discomfort after a game. He did roll backwards off a horse at a very young age [ about 3 years old i think], But no lasting problems that we were aware of!!

Jessie

• HadIt.com Elder

Jessie:

The VA will probably TRY to make something out of that HS football injury.

But ... from what you have stated ... he does have a valid claim.

If the VA does make an award ... they will most likely .. "Low Ball" .. the claim at perhaps 0% to 20% ... and then just keep appealing it with some good medical records.

The important part is to make sure that it is ... "SERVICE CONNECTED" .... even if the initial disability is only 0%.

It takes time ... soooo ... just be patient and do not give up.

... Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... :rolleyes:

<b>... Magoo ... </b>

<b>... At this very moment ... many in the U.S. Military are in ... "HARM'S WAY" ... please, let us NOT forget them ...</b>

• HadIt.com Elder

Jessie,

The VA awards claims on the basis of the "Whole person" concept, which means that a person when inducted into the military was 100% fit. So, if there isn't any complaints ect... on his induction physical, he should be fine. However, if the VA is aware of his pre-service injury, it still would be considered service-connected and compensated as his military service "aggervated" his prior condition. Then the VA would award the difference in disability. For example, on his induction physical it noted a back disability of 10%. Then, according to the C&P exam, it notes a current disability of the back at, let's say, 40%. He would receive a 30% disability rating because of the difference in the amount percentage. His military service caused a worsening of 30% to his back.

I hope this helps!

Vike 17